Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 compressors, i need help

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by crash1369, May 20, 2006.

1. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

ok well i would of thought this was a pretty simple hookup but ive got to change something. does anybody have any sugestions on hooking up two air compressors to work together. i had a crapy husky compressor, and now i just got a much better one from a guy i work with. i dont really need the other one now but since i have it i figured i would hook the 2 of them up and never have air troubles again but it almost like their working against each other ensted of together. it seems like one motors is filling both tanks, the motor on one is running and the other is leaking (eaither or) i adjusted to psi comeing out so that neither is leaking now but still only one runs. i a, useing my sander as a test since they take the most air and i couldnt use it befor, it works better now but as soon as it hits the metal it slows down allot, it used to stop it keeps running now but very slowly. how can i hook these up so they work together, should i put some kind of valve to prevent revers flow, do they make them that big for a reasonable price? what did i do wrong cuz this seems much more complicated then it should be. sorry for the long post, thanks allot for the help

2. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

no sugestions?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm no expert...

I have fooled around some with compressors,but don't know a whole lot about plumbing them up..I'd guess you'll need a "Check Valve" that only lets air pass in one direction,so both tanks wont fight each other while filling them..but that will prevent one of them from supplying air to the other at the same time!...better wait for more "expert" advice on this question!..:crazy:

4. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thats what i figured, but i dont think people useually need to do that. more importantly does anybody know where i can get one for this application.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Give your local compressor shop a call. I bet they'd tell you how to do it. That'll be the place you end up buying the parts you need anyways.

Post up how it should be done when you find out.

Eric M.

6. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

:haha::D

local compressor shop, i wish it was that easy. how i envy you guys that live in civilization. i cant even buy air tools anywhere locally, not good ones at least. thats why im trying to ask on here. thanks for the suggestion though :waytogo: but what i really need is a website that sells the stuff, unless somebody local knows of some kind of secrect shop that i cant find :laugh: you know its funny howmany there are like that though there are actually a few good stores out here but somebody has to show you where they are and initiate you. anyway thats for the help so far.

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Tobyhanna?? Isn't that the compressor capitol of the US? :p:

Sorry, didn't think about location, I am spoiled!

Are there any on-line compressor outlets you could ask?

If all else fails, let me know and I'll give one of MY many local compressor shops a call and see what they say.

Eric M.

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

9. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thanks allot guys, that link says not to use the regulators which i thought might have been an issue so im going to take them off and ill see what happens.

10. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why don't you just call Craftsman, Cambell Hausfield (sp?) or one of the many other manufacturers? Sure some of them may not be much into helping you out but after all they are the ones who actually build the units, right?
    Only seems logical to me. The worst they could say is that they don't know. Or they might suggest buying a single unit that can perform similarly to what your after, either way I would give it a shot.

-Avery

11. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You call Craftsman with a question like that and all they're gonna say is "I donno"! :laugh: ;)

Eric M.

12. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

you know i actually never thought of that, i forgot all about them. The one i just got is made by some blue devil place or somehting so i have no idea how to contact them, but maybe campbell hasufeild might be helpfull.

ive been to busy to try unhooking the regulators yet but ill have that done in the next few days (im gunna try for tonight) and ill let you know what happens.

13. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's worth a shot, it would only take a minute and since he wasn't getting any straight replies I figured it would be time well spent.

-Avery

14. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help guys, it took longer than i thought but i took the regulators off and it seems to be working corectly. still not as much air as i thought i would have but it'll have to do. i do have one last question though, and this might actually be a question for the manufacturer but here goes. does anybody know if the pressure switch's can be adjusted or anything i can do to make the better motor turn on first? it flows more air but it doesnt turn on because the other one is, but it puts out such a small amount of air that it practically runs forever. anyway i realize ill probably have to just deal with that aside from a tiny leak i have to fix all is well thanks allot for the help everyone :waytogo:

15. diesel4me

yes..

The switch can be adjusted to change the pressure it turns the compressor on and off at(on most of the ones I've seen on older compressors anyway)..

I had to readjust mine to not kick on the compressor until it dropped below 60 psi..I had limited amperage available,only 20 amp wiring,and my motor draws 17 amps on 110V--starting it at 70 psi or higher would sometimes trip the curciut breaker...the factory settings turned it off at 110 psi,and kicked it on again at 75-85 psi..I tweaked it to shut off at 125 psi,and turn back on at 60 psi..

I found out later the motor was also able to run on 220V,so I switched it to 220,and it only draws about 9 amps on 220V...my electrician friend claims it uses less electricity on 220V,and will increase the motors life span..

I talked to a guy who knows more about plumbing compressors up than I--he said you can "T" two tanks together,and put a check valve between the "T" fitting and the compressors,so air in the tanks cant flow back into the compressors,and hook the air hose onto one tank,not the output from one of the compressors...not sure I understood all he said,if I was able to SEE what he was describing I'd probably understood it better..:crazy:

16. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

good news :) how are they normally adjusted, just some type of screw or what? ill have to investigate. how did you find out your motor could run on 220 their not labeld are they, i wish i would have just gotten a 220 in the first place, i ended up installing outlets and everything i didnt want to do anyway. thanks again im going to try and take a look at them tomorrow hopefully

17. diesel4me

Motors...

Not all electric motors are capeable of using both 110V or 220V..its usually stated on the spec plate what voltage they can be run on..also some are reversible,some arent...mine was a 1.5 hp motor..most larger than that only use 220V..

I found out my first compressor(a home built abortion of spare parts from several compressors and a huge tank I bought at a yard sale)was running BACKWARDS for over a year!,,one day I noticed an arrow on the big pulley/fan on the pump when I was changing the oil in it!--and saw it was rotating the opposite way when I turned it on!..:doah: ..didn't notice any big difference when I swapped the wires around to reverse the motors rotation though..:confused: ..but it sure blew more air on the pump rotationg the right way!.

Most of the air pressure switches have a cover held on by two screws that hide the wiring and the adjusting screws that determines what pressure the motor turns on and off at..The switch is just a diaphram,that pushes on a rocker arm type device,and breaks the contact to the power supply..tightening one screw increases the PSI at shutoff,the other when it will kick on again..some switches have only one screw,and you cant really change the pressure it kicks on at very much,they mostly limit the shut off pressure..:crazy:

18. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thanks allot, ill take a look at it and ill let you guys know what i find

19. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Multiple Compressors

In reply to a couple of your questions. First, you can tell if your motor is wired for multiple voltage by taking the cover off the wire terminal on the motor. If there are only three wires coming out of the motor housing, it is wired for a single voltage. If there are six wires coming out then it is a dual voltage motor. If it is dual voltage you still will need to find out which wires to change to convert to 240 VAC. All motors come with a spec. plate. If yours is missing, you will have to contact the manufacturer to get the info. Secondly, I hooked up three small compressors together some years ago. I had a relative with access to a time delay relay with three modules. I simply wired the relay through one pressure switch and then directly to the three motors. The delay relay allowed all three motors to run without the locked rotor amperage triping the breaker. Had no problems with the tanks interacting and the system ran for years. Hope this helps.

20. crash1369

crash1369 1/2 ton status

thanks chevyin, thats actually what i was going to try somebody else emailed me with the same sugestion. its typical ive been trying to be lazy and get these hooked up with minimal work which or corse only made twice as much work for my self i should of thought of that in the begining but i wasnt thinking :)