Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 D60 questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Paxx, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm just about to re-assemble my 60 but first /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif where the hell does this seal go /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not to sure.

And my other question is, what do the kingpin springs do? I'm just curious on this one.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That seal is the first thing to get installed before you install the ring gear carrier.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    They seal the axle tubes from gear oil.. They have metal inserts to help support the axle when you install/remove it, cheapy ones are plastic and will fail quicker. I used a long screwdriver to get the old ones out, and a mallet and a little block of wood or something to install the new seals- metal lip part facing the axle tubes.
    The kingpin springs hold spring tension on the kingpin bushings. The cone shaped kingpin is screwed into the housing and the bushing rides on it, then the spring and the cap can be bolted down to hold pressure on the bushing to the kingpin. The knuckle pivots on that upper bushing, and the lower roller bearing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks. Is there an outer seal? I thought that is what I had bought which is why I was having so much trouble figuring out where it belongs. The inner seal seems to be in just fine condition.

Thanks
    ~Max

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

no outer seal for the axle tube.. those inner seals are the only ones.
    The only other seal is on the back of the hub to seal the wheel bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Good luck dude!