Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 days into the job....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Feb 21, 2006.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Wow do I look stupid... ha. Lets see, today I put door latch in the slider door of a van. tested it, before I closed it, worked fine. Put the panels back on, got it buttoned up. Closed the door, won't open. Long story short on that, the rear latch rod needed to be adjusted tighter, I did that after the initial mistake but not enough. My lead tech on my team had me redo it and sure enough it worked. I looked dumb and did a .9 hour job in 2 hours...

Then another van (from the same company even, Comcast), came in and needed 2 tires. The driver front was flat as was the spare, neither could be patched. So I reqed up the tires(first I ordered the wrong tires but the mistake was caught). Then I went to install them. Lucky for me all the equipment at work is the same as the stuff we had at school. Same balancer, same tire machines, same BG flush equipment. I dismounted both tires pretty quick, took a bit of remembering but I got it done fine. Then I couldn't remember for the life of me how to mount them... Another tech showed me and acted like I was the biggest idiot in the world for not knowing.

Apparently I need to look over some of my school notes for refreshers on things. I was too focused on fabrication stuff at the end I let stuff slip from my mind. Oh well, yesterday I racked up a whopping .67 clock hours, maybe today I made 1, haha. Luckily I'm hourly for now. Business is REALLY slow right now too, my lead tech was saying its going to suck for me when I go flat rate cause there isn't work.

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Don't sweat it, just keep mushing along. You'll hit your stride soon enough.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

hey your learning still, like everyone says, expierience is eveything. believe me ive made an ass out of myself a few times at work. especially the first couple days. just stay calm relaxed and think. better to go slow and do it right then go fast and redo it.if its a .9 job and you do it in 1.3 cause you took your time it looks alot better than doing it in .5, and having to redo it, even if you were to say still finish in 1.3 hours. well enough words of wisdom, now get back to work!

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you are new, they can expect you to be ripping 100% efficiency yet. I'm running around 80% right now, but we have flat-raters here that the management lets take the time we make. My first clutch took me 16 hours when it pays 12, but I got 'em down to about 7 now if I try. The more you get used to it, the faster you will go. Just be nice to EVERYBODY so you can ask anyone for help when you get stuck on something.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

does the ford dealer have any training stuff that you can do and get paid for?

thats what i used to do when i worked at the gm dealer when we were slow.

had computer based classes and classes broadcast over a satelite network. learned some good stuff from both of them.

6. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Yep, what they said.

When I was working as an engine Tech I got down to being able to remove an engine and dismantle in one 8hr shift. Clean, paint and rebuild the next day, and install and fine tune the last day.

Took me a week and a half on my first job. :p:

Practice.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah being a mechanic sucks. i dont like it anymore, i used to be something i enjoyed now its just a job... especially when you're one of 2 mechanics for a fleet of over 90 trucks and machines...

8. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I'm back helping out temporarily as the so called "mechanic" at the radiator shop I worked at for a while before.

This week we had two water pumps jobs come in... one on an 8.1 in a newer Chevy and today an S-10. Beings that neither was a '73-'80 Chevy truck, I'm sure I took a bit longer than I should have to do a simple task. There were a couple really "in my face obvious" things I didn't catch right away in the process which made things take longer.

I made several stupid mistakes when I was there before too. Luckily my friend works there so he just made fun of me and gave me a hard time about it. Once you get in the swing of things, you'll be fine, and get faster as you go along. At least you have some "automotive book smarts" in addition to fall back on and remember which should cover alot of what you run into. Iv'e never taken any sort of class. If you put me in the same shop with all them "newer cars", I'd have no clue what I was doing.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I wouldn't worry about it terribly, it's your first job out of school, right? They can't have experienced-guy expectations from you. Chalk it up to learning experience and hit it again.
    Just don't get cocky!

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gotta start somewhere and if you don't screw anything up you're not working hard enough. What really counts with the people that work for me is their attitude after the screw up. Can't have a meltdown over everything. Funny how different the real world is from school.;)

11. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

just curious, what kinda school did you go to?? technical school or like half of the day during high school for two years type thing?? are you now a technician trainee at a private shop, or something else??