Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 different Q-jet gaskets?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, May 8, 2003.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I recently swapped to rebuilt q-jet and I used a gasket between the manifold and carb the had a gap in front of the primaries in between them. Now I have a buddy who just rebuilt his 350 and saw the gasket he was putting on in the same place and it had material covering in the place mine didn't, both were new (not old trimmed gaskets) so what is the difference and why? Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not sure what GM was thinking when they did that, but yes, there are different intake to carb gaskets. Actually more than just two different gaskets, as there are ones that have the secondaries joined and divided.

One of the reasons for different gaskets are the vacuum passageways that were added or removed during the Q-jets lifespan of 1965-1990.

3. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I think one is EGR and the other is non EGR type.

John

4. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

So how do I tell which to use?

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Usually you just use the style that you removed. Short of that, I'm at a loss. If the rebuild kit comes with two gaskets, it won't help you any, but I don't recall if all rebuild kits come with 2 different carb to intake gaskets or not. You buy those by the stamped in ID number, so that SHOULD get you the right gasket if there is only one per kit.

If you've got a local carb shop, they might be able to look that info up for you as well.