Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 driveline questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CAROLINAK5, Dec 9, 2001.

1. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

#1....to use only the rear drive, should i disconnect the front drive axle all together. i will have different gears in the front/rear for atleast a month.

#2.....how far is it saffe to drive on the highway with the front drive axle only? the rear drive axle will be to long when i do my 3/4 conversion so i have to take the blazer to the drive shop which is about 16 miles from my house...all highway.

when all else fails..............HIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32</a>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

#1. If you have a 203 that is full time. Yes/ No, If you have a part time case, just make sure that the hubs are unlocked and you should be ok.

#2. I have heard of people driving 50+ miles on the front end only, but thats only because they had to.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. 81Bogger

81Bogger Registered Member

-When I bought my '81 blazer it had 2 different gear ratios in it....(we won't talk about the last owner) [​IMG] ....but I drove it (in 2wd) for about 300 miles to my uncles' place so we could swap axles, just when you put it in 4 wd it would try to go sideways..but in 2wd it was okay...I drove it about 300 miles (was probably hard of the diff's though, I don't know)[​IMG]

As for driving it in front wheel drive only I'm not sure of....the only time I did that was when I broke my rear driveshaft wheelin' one time, drove it back to "base" (about 2 miles away) it did fine, but that was at low speeds....

"Mud under tire, and Fords in the rear view..."

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can drive a truck with two different gear ratios with no problems as long as its in 2WD. As long as its in 2WD and the hubs in the front are UNLOCKED you should have no probs. If your really worried about it though you can remove the front drive shaft. If you have an NP203 transfer case REMOVE your front driveshaft before you drive it.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

As long as you dont puy it in 4 wheel drive you are fine with having different gears front and rear. If you put it in 4WD you will destroy the transfer case. As for driving with the front driveshaft you should be ok as long as you dont have a slip yoke driveshaft in the rear.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

With a 203, I have heard that when you pull a drive shaft, you also have to use 4Loc or I guess the x-case differential slips like being in nuetral. Fortunately haven't had the necessity to find out for sure.