Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 Dumb questions for the price of one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mike.S, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

1st. Please explain the rating of a reciever hitch by "CLASS", (weight rating, material used,etc..). 2nd. Are bushwacker fender flairs designed to hide a trimmed fender ? P.S. Is there a annual award for dumb questions ? I think I might have a chance. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

bushwacker flares require cutting the fenders a certain way, they give you instructions i think, i don't have them. but they will not fit a regular fender.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im pretty sure by class it is a weight limit set on each one.i think it goes up 1500 pounds or so by each class of hitch.the fender flares require cutting because you are effective ly opening your wheelwell a couple of inches all the way around and unless you are a good bodyman and can make it look good ,i think it is just a coverup for all the cutting of the fender.also it will help pass inspection in some states for tire overhang past the fenders.

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Ok, I will try your first question-

I remember going through this earlier this spricg with my new tow rig/trailer set up. The class rating for reciever hitches is based on the material of the hitch, vehicle its mounted to, etc. Most, if not all, have 2 ratings...One for Weight Carrying (WC) and one for Weight Distributing (WD). WC is when you hook up a trailer and go. All the weight of the trailer- incl. tongue weight, trailer weight, braking weight, etc. is carried by the hitch. WD uses an additional setup that uses arms that connect the trailer to the hitch and apply the trailer weight to the trailer axles and tow rig axles. The leverage gets rid of "saggy-but" while towing. Since it puts weight on both axles of the tow rig, the steering and braking capabilities improve. SO, back to my class III, its WC rating is 5000# and WD is 10000#. Even though I am above the 5000# rating, with the WD system, I can safely tow it.

Will the class III tow more than 5000#? Yup, I am sure it will, but what convinced my to get the WD system (which costs about 300 bucks) was a local U-Haul guy told me that if anything ever happened like an accident, the insurance guy/lawyer/police could blame me for "overloading" my hitch. I even compared Class IV/V hitches to my III and could see no physical differences. In fact, I could of boughten a class IV/V for about half of what my WD system cost, but I was afraid I would end up buying the WD system anyway because w/o it, my K2500 would tow my K5 like crap.

Overall, the WD sytem if worth it, mine has provisions for sway control, but w/ my extended cab p'up's long wheel base, it tows great, even when semis are passing.

Others here have alot more input on the actual engineering concepts involed, but this is kinda in a nut shell. For more info, do a search for Weight Distribution during feb-mar of this year, or search my posts back to those dates. There is some very interesting info there.

Good luck!!!

rob

5. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

I got my hands on a hitch system from a guy and I'm sure I won't be needing it any time soon but I'm wondering what the rating is on it. It came with this big chunck of steel with the hitch ball connected to it and its adjustible (up-down). It also has two round slots in the chunck to fit 2 big steel rods into it. I'm sure its one of those leveling hitch's. It also came with 2 plates that you bolt to a trailer tongue for the steel rod's. Come to think about it, would'nt it have this info stamped on it somewhere ? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

6. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Found some numbers. Could anyone tell me what all this means ? Weight Distributing- MGTWR = 10,000 MVHC = 1,000 . Weight Carrying- MGTWR = 5,000 MVHC = 500 . Does any of this info tell what "class" this hitch might be ? The hitch was made by "EAZ-LIFT" and the only other stamped info is "V 5 and T 2". Thanks for any info.

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    P.S. Is there a annual award for dumb questions ? I think I might have a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're gonna have to contend with me for that one! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Class III

With the Weight Distribution system the MGTWR (man. gross trailer weight rating) is 10000 # with a 1000# tongue weight.

the 5000# and 500# is GTW and TW for use with out the WD system.

hope this helps.

rob