Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 hydro assist questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Sep 6, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

1. Is the 1.5" WTO ram enough for my truck with 42's and an ARB up front?
    2. On the WTO 1.5" ram which port is which?

Grassyass! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I asked Matt the same ? and he said it would be fine....i came to the conclusion that my truck is big, the tires are big, i plan on moving big things outta the way so I opted for the 2" ram---and the ram can be repaired/parts found etc at any hydro place for cheap. I am under the assumption that the smaller rams are made by individuals so so to repair them would be more $$ and the "where did you get that ram" look

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have the 1.75" on my truck with 42s. The steering is a wee bit on the slow side, you can't turn the wheel quite as fast. Willyswanter has the 1.5" ram on his truck and he's said that it could be moe powerful. I'd go 1.75 if you drive on the street. </font>

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got the 2". More than enough power with 42s and a front locker. My only problem is that the pump can't move enough volume at idle to handle the hydro boost and hydro assist.

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Has anyone considered adapting a two stage pump for steering? It pumps higher volume at lower pressure such as street use but at the adjusted pressure it lowers the volume and increases the pressure. Could be strange feeling though when it changes.

6. BadDog

Never seen one. Where do you find them? Cost?

I've been debating trying a dual pump setup when my current list of projects thins out a bit.

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got the 2". More than enough power with 42s and a front locker. My only problem is that the pump can't move enough volume at idle to handle the hydro boost and hydro assist.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in the same boat as you Russ with the hydro boost and hydro assist. The thought of two pumps had came to mind when the hydro boost/assist topic had come up a while ago. I have a crap load of marine pumps in the yard and they have a smaller pulley on them, maybe I will try a smaller pulley first if I have problems at low rpm's and see if that helps, if not than I will dedicate 1 pump for the steering and 1 pump for the braking.

Now I just need to know where the send and return should go on the ram?

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Maybe somebody know the place on the net where they talk about increasing factory pump output. Something about drilling out an orifice in the pump and removing a shim and so on. I don't remember where that info was located but that might help ya.

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Pete, put the 1.5" ram on and see how it works before spending money to change it. I think the 1.5 will work fine.

10. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

WTO Tech page

/forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. BadDog

I've already made the flow mods. The pressure mods are not needed, I've got all the pressure I need.

As for which is which line is which, no idea on that one. But there was also no indication on mine. I just hooked mine up. Of course, as usual, I'm SOL, so I got it backwards the first time. Give me a 50/50 chance and I'll blow it every time... Then I just switched them and all was well.

12. BadDog

Oh, and one more thing calculate the rpm increase at idle due to the smaller pulley. Increase will be a % of rpm. 10% better at 800 rpm is only 880. Not enough to help much unfortunately. 10% at 5k brings you to 5.5k, and the pumps already at it's limit. People who want to turn 6k+ typically have to run a larger pulley to slow it down... So, I abandoned the search for a smaller pulley and started thinking of other options. One nice thing about dual pumps. You would definitely have enough volume...

I was thinking of going that route, but unless you can get a pulley considerably smaller, AND you don't plan to go past 4500 rpms or so, it doesn't work so well.

Here is one for the crowd... How would it work to run a common high pressure line to both pumps? You could also run a single large remote reservoir. The bleed-off valves would keep from over pressurizing the system. You would have all the volume you could use at idle, especially when the hydro boost is not activated...