Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 in add-a leaves or 2 in springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jacksprat1599, Mar 25, 2004.

1. jacksprat1599

jacksprat1599 Registered Member

which is best if I like the factory ride on my 89 suburban 1/2 ton.I know taller is stiffer and I also have a baby on the way so price is a concern.thanks in advance

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have the money the 2" springs are better. For the most part you can figure on cheaper is never better in the quality department. I run a 2" add a leaf in my rear springs and I would rather run a 2" spring pack instead of a 2" add a leaf.

Harley

3. jacksprat1599

thanks and thats what I was afraid I would hear.I just thought with a minimal amount of lift,like 2 in,that I could get away with the add-a-leaves with out the ride changing too much or becoming really stiff

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You will want to change front springs if at all possible because stock front springs have a negative arch which is bad. You want a front spring to have no arch or a positive arch. rears you can get away with add a leaves or blocks. Add a leaves are probably bad in the front because they will increase your spring rate and make the ride stiffer.

I am currently running 2" rear add a leaves and 2" blocks which is not a huge deal. It is just a bandaid till I can afford rear 6" springs.

Harley

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, I put 2"add-a-leaves in the rear of my K5, and they basically brought it back to stock ride height, since it was sagging so much.

That's what I hoped they would do, but just to give you an idea what MIGHT happen if you have worn rear springs and just add a leaf.

6. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

use zero rates. basically they bolt on like an add a leaf but they dont affect the rate of flex (hence the name zero rate). I just put a set on my rear to compensate for the rear sag and it looks and rides great. They were an easy install too. I believe offroad design sells them.

7. jacksprat1599

Thanks everyone for the replies.I was mainly interested in the add-a-leaves for the front but I beleive I'll save for a set of springs.I have already put 2 in blocks in the rear to fix the suburban saggy butt.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had a set of add a leaves in the front of my truck and I really liked how they worked out for $50. Well worth it in my opinion.

If you don't want 4" of lift, don't waste the cash on springs.

Then again the stock rear springs for 4" of lift up front has been covered a lot lately and it's cheap, too.

9. jacksprat1599

so rear stock springs are a bolt in up front.do you know the differences in spring rate for front vs. rear stock packs?I like this idea but it seems with the load carrying cappacity of the rear springs springs that this would be really stiff and do you remove the overload leaf? sorry so many questions but I really enjoy all the iput from you guys.