Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 inch lift for 88 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RG Saunders, Feb 25, 2007.

1. RG Saunders

RG Saunders Newbie

Have an '88 K5 and I'm looking for about a 2 inch lift for it. Not a hard core 4 wheeler, just want to have it fit the 33's and ride decently. Figure I've got to replace all springs - I've been told to steer away from "blocks" and "add a leafs".

Anyone have any ideas on good suspension kits? Brands etc.

Thank you very much

2. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

well im running 33's with no lift u just have to beat in the rear of the front fenders alittle bit.It works fine and i do some bouncing around in the dirt and it dosent seem to rub. I have a 1984 jimmy i dont know how different it is from ur 88 K5 though. But if u do want to get a lift and play it safe i would go with a 2 inch lift springs up front and a shackle reverse in the rear. ORD offers them up to '87 blazers. Im not sure if there is a change in the suspension in '88 but u should look into it.

3. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

When my '87 Blazer was stock I was running 33x10.5x15 BFG MT's with no problems or rubbing.

4. RG Saunders

RG Saunders Newbie

Going w/the 33 x 12.50's and don't really want to bang the front fenders or cut them back at this point. The 12 x 50's don't really fit, unlie the 10.50's. I want a nice fat tire for the sand. I am the original owner and I am still hesitant after all these years to bang on her.

5. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I have an '84 with a rough country spring and shock lift. Im running 32s but will go to 33s once these tires wear out. I was mainly looking to compensate for old tired springs and didnt wanna go with a 4" lift, so I stuck with their 2" lift. Once you go 4" or bigger, you need new pitman arm, brake lines and may have driveshaft issues.

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Wish you were closer - I am just in the process of taking out my 2 inch lift and going to a new 4" rough county.

Old lift was a set of 3 leaf heavy dutys for a diesel blazer with zero rates up front and a set of 2" blocks in the back. Low $$ approach but my 33's were rubbing so up I go.

7. Gaffed

Gaffed 1/2 ton status

I'm also looking to do a 2" swap. What brand springs ride the best? And a 2" ORD reverse shackle swap for the rear instead of block? Mine is a DD and the most off roading I do is camping on occasion.

8. Consciouseye

Consciouseye Registered Member

No Rub here either...

I have an 87' 33 x 12.50's and no rubbing issues at least for driving on the roads.

[​IMG]

9. Gaffed

Gaffed 1/2 ton status

Thats a great looking clean truck. 2" lift should be perfect for what I want. Thanks for posting up that pic.

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I put 2 1/2" all spring Skyjacker on my 89 DD. The original suspension only had 44k when I did it, and it still improved ride quality. I put ORD Zero rate in the rear to level it out. I've had these softrides on for about 10 years now with no complaints.

I run 33" BFG TA's on stock rallies most of the time and 33" BFG Muds on 10" Rallies fairly often with no issues. No rocks in Texas, but I do the occasional fire road and some mud. I also tow a Bass boat a lot.

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I never liked a wide tire... I ran 255/85R16s with not lift and no rubbing. I did get some 3" block from a wrecking yard, and cut them to 2" with a hacksaw. Wasn't for tire clearance, it was to get the rockers further from the ground. LOL!

12. Consciouseye

Consciouseye Registered Member

By the way the picture I posted does not have a lift... just wanted to clarify.

13. Gaffed

Gaffed 1/2 ton status

Consciouseye, on the same page already man. I just think w/2"ish up it'd be real smooth looking.

14. RG Saunders

RG Saunders Newbie

(1) Ride on w/the Skyjacker 2 1/2 lift? (2) How much did it really lift it up? Also, what is the "ORD Zero rate in the rear to level it out" - may be something I need or may need??? (3) The guy w/the Rough Country lift - how does that ride?

Not looking for the buckboard express.

Thanks for your info - keep it coming.

15. Gaffed

Gaffed 1/2 ton status

And to add to the list of questions. Ride difference between blocks, springs, and I think its a reverse shackle swap or something?

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

If I can figure out the wife's camera, I'll try to get a pic. I've got the TA's on it right now. I haven't posted a pic for several years.

The lift was about 2 1/2" as stated. As I recall, I researched back then and went with the best ride/lift rate from an article in Petersens mag. I lived with the "saggy butt syndrome" common in these trucks for a couple years. It isn't noticible in the ride, etc., I think it just looks better when the truck sits level. Maybe someone else would care to describe/explain this in more or better detail.

I didn't want a big lift since I road trip this truck fairly often to Nascar tracks, Pikes Peak (race to the clouds), etc. I wanted road manners that would allow me to trip it to Darlington,Talledega, Bristol, Michigan, and Phoenix without beating me to death. I drag my Skeeter to Lake Ouachita, Montecello, Russellville, Bull Shoals and Fayetteville all in Ark (300-400 mi) quite often with the wife. If she ain't comfortable, I get to hear about it. She likes road tripping my truck.

17. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I installed a Genuine Suspension 2 1/2" lift on my '88 back in '03 and I run 33x12.50-15's on mine with no rubbing as of yet. I don't know how much lift I actually gained from stock though. My stock springs were all worn out. Here's a couple of pic's. The first one is with 33-10.50 BFG A/T's and the second one is with worn down 33-12.50 BFG M/T's and a little mud. :D

022_19A.JPG

80.JPG

80.JPG

022_19A.JPG

18. Gaffed

Gaffed 1/2 ton status

K5Jimmy, since you do a lot of traveling in your truck; I'll direct these questions at you.

What gear ratios do you have?

City/Highway MPG?

FOR EVERYONE,

Is there anything you wish you would have done different when doing the 2 1/2" lift?

I'm pretty much trying to built the ultimate cheap & functional daily driver.

Thanks,

Chris

19. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I wish I had just bought the front springs and then gotten ORD's 2 1/2" flip kit. Other than that, at the time no. I do plan on getting there 2 1/2" flip in the future and replacing my front springs with some Tough County 4" springs in the front. But that won't be for another year or so at least.

Rick

20. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have 3.73's with Auburn Pro at both ends and Moser 1340H molys in my 12B rear. My 700R has the JET kit (corvette servo, hardened sprag, diesel clutch pack, etc)

I did the crate motor thing 2 years ago w/270hp roller, CFM Tech injectors, and I've had Flotech ceramic headers for about 10 years. True duals w/Magna Flows and no crossover.

I've never really checked mileage around town. Highway with the cruise on usually gets me to the mid 14 mpg, although on a recent trip to Ark I featherfooted, drafted Big Trucks and stayed in OD as much as possible and got over 15. Now that was with doing everything I know how to do to get mpg.

My boat isn't that heavy (16' Skeeter) I usually run about 60-65 and stay out of OD which gets me to the mid 12 mpg range.

I've had some sort of K5 since 1976 (73,75,79"17yrs", and 89 "12yrs"), so I don't use mpg as a gauge. I plan on keeping this truck til the wheels fall off.