Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 inch lift????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89fullsiz, Mar 25, 2004.

1. 89fullsiz

89fullsiz Registered Member

Just bought a 89 blazer and am thinking rims and tires would look good. I do plan on a "little" wheeling but nothing crazy. This is really just a daily driver for me. But I do like big wide tires on a 4 x 4. I have 32's now but I think they are 10.5s so they are pretty skinny.

I was thinking of a 2 inch lift and some wide 33's. Looking into lifts for my truck I've found ones with blocks or springs in the back. Springs being MUCH more expensive. With a two inch lift are the blocks OK? Wheeling would be limited to slow stuff nothing crazy....

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

2 inch blocks are fine, most people say 4 inch are ok, 6 is doable anything over 6 is not recomended

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Go with the blocks... I have 4" blocks and an add-a-leaf in mine to make 6.5" and it's fine.

For the wide 33's...I don't know what you wan't to spend and how important looks are but a really popular combo around here is the 33x15.50 Super swamper SX's on 14" wide welds in both 15 and 16.5" sizes. It looks really good but expensive. You would need at least 4" of lift to run that combo though.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'd go four inches also. Two inch lift doesn't look lifted. Four inch looks good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="black"> </font>

5. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

I used skyjacker 2" on my 89. I did springs all around. Why?
    My bushings were shot in the rear, and the springs were whooped. I also tow a horse trailer from time to time. I just wanted to do it right.
    Check out Skyjacker. I have 33's on mine. Rides nice and did not have to change the gears. You will not have much off the line, but you will cruise down the high way nice.
    My speedo is only off by 2 mph. I have 3:08's. Overall, a good move.

6. 89fullsiz

Detailer you have any pictures... That sounds like the same setup I'm going to go with.

I hear you on the 4" and I'm still thinking about it but this is my first 4x I already feel like I'm driving a monster truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've always LOWERED my cars (and trucks) first thing not lifted /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

7. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    I already feel like I'm driving a monster truck

[/ QUOTE ]

This is as high as 4 inch lift gets you. I have 33's. I don't feel topheavy, even off camber on trails. Also if you went 4 inches, youd be set when you wanted bigger tires./forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

8. 89fullsiz

Paul that looks SWEET!!! Only problem is its a slippery slop I already have two hot rods. If I get the 4 inch I'll want 35's if I get 35's I'll want different gears and more TQ.. ETC ETC /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif This is my "economy" car. So I can justify 2k-3k total into it after that the wife will start getting pissey

9. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    So I can justify 2k-3k total into it after that the wife will start getting pissey

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife too. I got lift , locker, tires and steering brace all for under that for sure. You could spend more, but with ck5 members selling stuff you can do it cheap. I scored shackle flip, disconnects and a few other things here on ck5. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

And you wonder why i'm not married,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. 89fullsiz

Well she lets me spend a fortune on the TA and her income definately helps....although her shoe buying probably evens it out /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I'll keep an eye out for deals. I'm still learning though so its hard to know what to look for. I'm a big seller buyer in the F-body market but I know what I'm doing there /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tell you this its fun driving an 11 second street car. But I'm REALLY having a blast driving the Blazer too. A friend with a tricked out 4 runner is going to do a little trail riding with me this weekend show me the ropes /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I did my whole 4" lift for under 500 dollars. I went to a local spring shop and asked them if they had used springs layin on a shelf. Those springs and blocks in the back that they had layin around with new u-bolts that they bent up for me, wah lah lift done. The drop steering arm (did the arm long time after the lift) and that was it. It can be done just gotta find the right shop on the right day with the stars aligning just so and a pleasant cool breeze comin from the north west. Pretty simple huh? Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

13. pauly383

I got vids of what a stock truck can do I could send ya /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. 89fullsiz

OH DO!!! moton.b@comcast.net!!!

The only reason I want the lift is for 33's /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm thinking like 16 x 10 rims with wide 33's....

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Then you'd better go with the 4" lift, it will be nice, trust us that have it. I had to argue with Paul up there about it for awhile, he was going to get a 3" lift, until i brought my truck over with the 4" on it. Changed his mind.

It is nice, trust me.

16. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

This is My daily driver 76. It has 2" lift. add-a-leaf up front and 2" blocks in rear. There is also a 1" body lift. And i run 33's on 15x10's.
    [​IMG]
    Check your rear springs, make sure none are cracked. If they are, then It would be better to do springs in the rear. I did the Add-a-leaf on the front. This truck had 3 leafs on the front from the factory, so it was a little stiff anyways. I removed 1 leaf when i did the add-a-leaf. It isn't any worse than any of my 3/4 PU's ever rode!

17. 89fullsiz

Bablazer do you have any more pics?? That looks like the EXACT look I'm going for. I know I'm a poser wanting looks, but this is a daily driver, go camping, play a little bit truck. Not a lets thrash it till it breaks thing /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Although I could see how it could get to that point.

A guy named john in Seattle has a bueatiful K5 with 4 in lift with huge 35's and I LOVE it. But he also changed the gears ETC.

Bablazer would those tires fit no problems without the body lift???? For that matter is this a hard truck to do a body lift on???

18. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    This is 1 other pic i have posted On K5, This is with the 2" and 1"body. Same tires thats on it now, only different rims. I drove it like this till first snow!! I think they would have cleared. But EVERY truck seems to be different. On my wifes old 87, I did the 2" lift and no body lift. Her 33's would rub on the bottom of the front fenders. I trimmed them back. But MANY guys here have 33's on no lift to 2" without hitting. Seems to be hit or miss with that.

This is a "poser" truck for me. Just wanted something clean to drive with a little "attitude"
    Here is a link to some other pics of the 76, some pics are when i got it. 76-pics If there is a Specific pic angle you want, Just ask.

I didn't have to worry about gears with this truck, It had 3.73 stock. My wifes had 3.42's But with the lower 1st gear in the 700R4, She didn't have any problems.

The 1" body lift was no problem at all, Just needed some longer bolts and refit the fan shroud. All the fuel hoses and brake lines extended fine. I actually used Hockey pucks as body spacers. Cheap and works fine. Total cost of 1" body lift was under 20.00!! The pucks are 1.00 each, 10 needed, And 4 new carriage bolts for the rear bed bolts. I had bolts long enough to do the other mount's with. I loosened all the bolts on the drivers side, Used My floor jack and a block of wood, Jacked the body up, placed the pucks and did the other side. It might have been slightly easier because I had all the front sheetmetal off anyways.