Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" lift steering problems

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by cdh, Jul 27, 2004.

1. cdh

cdh Registered Member

2\" lift steering problems

I installed my tuff country 2" lift and ORD greasable shackles and bushings on my 89 Blazer and I am having steering problems. With no steering correction the draglink made a snapping noise when I turned the wheel, and it seemed like the front end was binding up offroad. I went to Offroad Unlimited, they looked at my draklink angle and sold me a raised steering arm (for a 4" lift but they said it would work). It fixed the snapping noise and it's not binding anymore, but the bump steer is terrible!

With the raised steering arm the draglink is pretty much level. Should I have done a drop pitman arm instead?

Does it make a difference if the front springs are 2" lift and the rear springs are 3" lift?

Thanks for your help!

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Re: 2\" lift steering problems

I had 2.5" Procomp springs ,and didn't do anything to the steering correction. I just took it to a alignment shop. That 4" raised arm is too much. I would left it stock.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It really doesn't matter how much lift you have as long as the draglink is near paralell, so if you have a raised steering arm and now it is paralell then thats good but if it angles upward some thats not good and you should remove it.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With the TCI 2" springs, you shouldn't have a problem but a better fix would be a 2" drop pitman arm rather than the 4" lift arm. With a leaf spring that has some arch to it, you want the draglink to have a little down angle on it. The "flat draglink" myth is just that, a myth. For the geometry to work right, an arched spring demands a bit of downward angle on the draglink so that when the axle moves up and back the end of the draglink does the same thing.

If your draglink is going uphill you need to change the arm out to put the angle back in it. You should check the angles out by drooping the suspension with the steering unhooked, then make sure that it will hook back up without binding. That's really the only way to check it out for sure.
    We have the drop pitman arms, they're $95.00 and are actually a lot easier to install than a steering arm.