Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" LIFT WITH 35's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLUESMAN, Nov 5, 2001.

1. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    2\" LIFT WITH 35\'s?

I'm getting ready to buy a suspension lift for my 78'.Right now she is wearing 33's with stock HD leaf springs and I am sure the tires would rub a little when I go off-road.I have the 35"ers so I was thinking of going to a 2" lift frt. spring,1" longer shackles and flipping the rear shackles.Would the 2" springs be good for for flex and would I get at least 1" of lift with the springs?I am planning on cutting the fenders so that is no big deal!I am thinking that the "new" frt. springs would give me a flat spring that would flex pretty well.So 35's with a 2" lift or what?

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Re: 2\" LIFT WITH 35\'s?

Thats what I got a 2in trailmaster with a add-a-leaf in the rear also I have ORD swaybar dis. and the 1in body lift. I did trim the fenders. The last time I went wheeling I did rub but it was the wheel well not the fender.

Eric

<a target="_blank" href=http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/>http://cethern.tripod.com/erics-home-page-and-other-stuff/</a>
    AMSOIL Dealer # 529948
    Cethern@interfold.com

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You better get out the sawzall. Might as well get out the sledge hammer and put it in the back too. When the tires rub you can beat the fenders out of the way with it on the trail.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. Re: 2

i ran a 2" and 35s for quite a while. i cut the front fenders but had no interfearance in the rear at all. at full stuff the tires would hit the floor pan though- still does with my 4". it drove very well on and off road though. aproach and deparcher angles kinda suck though.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

5. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

Don't do it!!!!
    you will need 4 inches of lift and still have to cut the front fenders. When guys say the wheels will "rub" that really means your fender will soon have jagged metal edges that will rip the sh*t out of your new tires.
    Good luck with your mods
    Ken

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazinobsession.com/>http://www.blazinobsession.com/</a>

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I say DO IT Ever heard of Pccorsmit (sp?) 39.5" tires with 3.5" lift [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have to agree with SlyDog on this. Do it and hack some sheet metal. I have a 4" now with 35's and when these tires are shot I am probably going to go to 38" with the same lift.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

8. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Well right now I have 2" of clearance between tire and rear of frt. fender,so I think that a 2" lift spring&amp; 1/2" longer shackles along with cutting 2" all around should be good.Thanks for the replies.

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

One other Q.Could I buy a 4" frt. spring and remove one of the main leafs to reduce the lift?Then if the tires rub,reinstall the leaf?What leaf to remove?Sorry more than one Q.

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm really happy with the 4" lift / 35" tire combo on my rig and it's a dedicated trail vehicle. Since stock springs are negative arched, even 4" lift springs are still relatively flat and flex really good. With the swaybar disconnected my tires (35x12.50 MTR's on 15x10 wheels) rub the inner fenderwell pretty badly, the outer fender is already trimmed but I will have to start chopping on the inner fender now. You can do 35" tires with only 2" of lift, but it will require more fender trimming and you lose that little bit of extra clearance at the front and rear bumper, and at the transfer case.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

My first question would be why not go with a 4" lift? From my experience, most 2" springs cost the same as 4" springs. You don't really get a price point until you go to 6". And, if you didn't want new springs or blocks in the rear (yuk yuk), you could always do a shackle flip.

A 4" lift would give you more undercarriage clearance, better approach and departure angles, and reduced risk of shredding your tires and your fenders. Your 33s may be fine, but remember that 35s a little bit wider. That could start to introduce problems with your fenders. Esepcially at full compression and turning. Before I trimmed my fenders, I couldn't turn when at full compression because my tires were pressend into the inner fender wells.

Also, you said that you currently have 2" clearance between the 33 tire and the rear of the frt fender. Is this at normal ride hieight with the wheels straight? Or at current full compression with your tires turned toward that side? If you have that little clearance now with them staright and at normal ride height, you will do some serious damage with 35s and only a 2" lift. Even with the trimming you are talking about.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

12. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Yes you are correct...the 2"lift is $25 more,but the reasons I was thinking of going with the 2" are:1)better driveline angles i.e. longer u joint life,2)i would not have to get a steering arm,3) the 2" springs are only 4 leafs thick(5 leafs for the 4") and shoud flex better and ride softer.I am going to do the rear shackle flip and use 3/4 ton 56" long springs.Also I am using the stock 15x8" ralley wheels,so my 33's right now do not rub(at least on the street).I am thinking the 2" springs w/ 1/2" lift from the shackles combined with the 2" of fender cutting should be more than enuff.I might go ahead and order the 4" springs and remove a leaf.My tires are BFG 35" by 12.50 M/T's so they are as wide as my BFG 33 M/T's.I don't want the "sky high" look,i like the low fat stock appearance.Thanks for the replies.

13. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Just as a side note........just because one spring pack has 5 leaves and the other has 4 does NOT necessarily mean the 5 leaf pack will be stiffer. In fact, 5 thin leaves will typically be better overall than 4 thicker leaves.

14. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Re: 2

Hey Blue, I'm in the process of the 2.5'' by 35''
    I have a procomp 2.5 with ORD front schackels. I have a fairly new set of 31s on now but in about a yr, I'll be getting the 35 BFG All Terains.(sp) I was actually thinking of getting a 3'' back springs. To rid of the saggy ass. but still trying to make up my mind on that.

Good luck.

KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

15. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Bluesman, If you want to save the money of not putting all the other things on and change the drive line angle.... You were talking about it being a beater just keep cutting until your happy....... If you need the Rancho 5000 that i got with my lift you can have them, if that will help you.......they are for a 4" lift....... Let me know and I'll grab the spare tire carrier also.....

Hasn't anyone picked up those seats yet?

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

16. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

C'Moe,hey thanks for the thought of the shocks....I might take you up on them and fo r sure the tire mount.I am not really trying to save the $...cause the 4" lift is cheaper($25) and it comes with the arm and shocks.Once again where do you live I'll have to take a drive over.No I still have the bucket seats...more than happy to bring them to you.I know you must be able to get something I need.See Ya soon.

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the coolest truck ever (IMHO) is on p.60 of the august 4WOR issue. 4" lift springs in the front, 4" shackle fliped rear &amp; 39.5"ers. thing killed @ moab

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

18. 2cocky

2cocky Registered Member

hey I'm getting ready to do the same lift. I have the pro comp 2.5 front springs installed, and an getting ready to order the hill 4 wheel drive shackles that are 2" longer then stock.This should give me about 3.5 inches front. For the rear I'm going to go with the ord shackle flip. that should even out the truck and get rid of the squat and still be flexy.

OOOPS....I THINK I JUST RAN OVER YOUR JEEP THING!!!!!

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Be great at moab but would suck where I go!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

20. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Cool!

I also Put on ProComp extended break lines, they are a must. Only cost about $70 from 4wpw. With that amount of lift you already streatch the facto lines, and with a little articulation, you may smap those.

Have fun, KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>