Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 little annoying issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Nov 17, 2005.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ive noticed that on freeway on/off ramps, or higher speed turns, my windshield washer nozzles, drip. Ive lost probably 1/4 bottle in the past week, and I havent even used the dang things. Anyone have a clue what could be causing this? Never had a problem till I took em off to paint the truck.

Also, I have new mirrors on the truck, they are the below eyeline(I think thats what their called), with the 3 bolts and the cover that cuts your fingers up everytime you mess with em. Anyway, going down the interstate any speed over 65, and the wind pushes em in. Now that its gotten colder, anything over 50 pushes em in. Anyone know of a way to tighten em up? Ive thought about getting em set right and then a little glue or jb weld, but was afraid that they would no longer be breakaway, and if I happened to thwack someone with the mirror who stepped out in the road (damn stupid people), didnt wanna kill em.

Thanks for any help guys, this is getting annoying, especially the mirrors. Dont care so much about the washer fluid, until its winter and my expensive($1.19 lol, instead of the $.25 blue stuff) de-icing fluid is dripping away.

2. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Your nozzles may have gotten moved into the windstream or a low pressure area in the body at speed. Try loosening the bolts and move them back or forward or something. It's kind of like when you were a kid and blew across a straw to make the liquid climb inside.

I have the same problem with my mirrors. I have yet to find anything that will hold them steady. You could try taking them apart and put some paper gasket material or something in there. Right now they are metal on metal which doesn't have much friction.

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

STUPID MIRRORS!! Mine are moving too. :mad:

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

my mirrors wwalk all the time :mad:

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

maby there is a valve bad in the pupm allowing the air rushing by to draw the liquid out. The air moving over works the same was as a carb would

6. BROKEN-ONE

BROKEN-ONE Registered Member

in some of the mirrors ,have a tention adjustment inside the mounting plate . on the nozzles put a one way check vavle inline and that should stop the loss . hope this helps

7. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

How would a check valve help? If it is drawing it out the same way it squirts it wouldn't do anything. And you couldn't install it backwards. (Well, you could :rolleyes:)

My mirrors are tensioned all the way down, still no good. I'm going to try the material option. Actually, speaking of material, that may be another option, put some synthetic (so it doesn't rot) cloth in between instead of paper gasket material.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd almost suspect the pump. Your nozzles should be wiper arm mounted, correct? Meaning you can't really have changed their location.

Mine has a check valve in the line to the nozzles, but I'm sure that is to keep the fluid from flowing back to the bottle.

Maybe someone can clarify how those pumps are constructed, if they shouldn't allow fluid through them when off, that would be your problem. Still odd that taking them off for painting caused this. Interested to hear how this turns out. :)

9. BROKEN-ONE

BROKEN-ONE Registered Member

the valve will stop the pressure build up in the washer system . some new cars come from the factory with a check valve in this system .

10. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

My '76 and '79 nozzles are mounted on the hood. Sorry for any confusion.

My pumps (those years) are piston pump (squirt, pause, squirt, pause, etc) and would allow fluid to draw through. I would suspect that if they upgraded to centerfugal (constant spray) pumps they would allow this as well (although I don't know if they ever used such pumps, just speculating).

11. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

The check valves are usually installed to prevent drain-back from the hoses and pump to the fluid container. They allow flow towards the nozzle without allowing it away. I don't see how this would help much except if the inherent resistance from the valve provides enough to keep the draw minimized. But that would be counting on a design flaw in the valve to do the work. I would search for other solutions first, but it ma be an option. :thinking:

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Until someone mentioned the air thing, I didnt even think about it, I put on a cowl hood, so that would have changed the airflow. And yes the washers are wiper arm mounted

13. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Those annoying mirrors. Good thing K5's got lots of windows. My passenger side mirror is always looking at my back tire. My mirrors are the Tri pod style. I am going to change them to the chrome bubble on the door design as soon as I put my new doors on. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the arm for now and putting in a set screw to stop the wind from moving it around.

14. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you unscrew the torx or phillips at the bottom of the mirror, push up on the cover you just unscrewed and you will see 2 bolts that hold the mirror in place and all you do is grab a socket wrench and tighten it. I had the same problem.

I guess I should have asked what kind of mirrors you have.........I have the 90 k5 style.

15. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I had the same problems with mine for awhile. I did the same thing except I did something a little different. I glued a very thin piece of sheet rubber (approx 1/16" thick) around the mirror post that is clamped in place. No more moving issues at all. They still move if I want them to, but they won't do it on thier own anymore. :smile1:

16. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Yep, cut a piece off an old inner tube and put it around the post where the mirror is clamped to the door. I didn't glue mine, just slid it on and snugged up the clamp. You'll never have moving mirrors again, yet they still break away when needed.

17. CheyenneKid

CheyenneKid Registered Member

My '90 Sub had a remote pump mounted behind the reservoir, I think I remember it was a constant spray, and the nozzles were mounted in the wiper arms. I you could find one of these systems, I think they worked the best. They had a check valve right along the fender wall too.

18. atvaddict

atvaddict Registered Member

my 79 squirters are a POS...i got them to work by priming them...then after a couple days..i try them...just a couple drops..its like all the fluid ran back out again...the pump just sucks, and its been replaced too

19. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Well, I fixed the mirrors, took the cover loose and sure enough, there were 2 set screws in there, forgot they were in there, tightened em up and then I couldnt move the mirror, had to back em off a little so I could even move the mirror lol.

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

loose mirrors

I've put a peice of inner tube under the tension clamp on the mirror where it pinches the arm for the mirror..they don't move too easy after that..or you can Red-Green it,and use duct tape!.. :crazy:

I put an aftermarket wiper pump (universal) on my windshield washers on my plow truck,since its essential to have one for that truck that works right!--my OEM one would always never shut off,and pump the whole bottle empty,or never work when it was time to get inspected..I've never had the washer nozzles lose any fluid with the aftermarket pump hooked up.. its easy to splice into the 2 wires on the stock pump to power the new one,by using the OEM wiper switch..:crazy: