Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2-meter problem

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Habez, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Habez

Habez Registered Member

my 2 meter is having some weird issues. I can hear fine, but when I try to send, it only sends out a constant beep, like it is a tone or something. I don't know if it has ever really worked, this is the first time that I've known someone is on the channel and heard what was going through. Does anyone have any ideas of what to look for to see my problem? I reset the computer, so I don't think it should be any setting in there. My only idea is that my antenna isn't grounded at all or it isn't grounded like it should be. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have no experence with 2 meter, but just basic radio nolige. Does it do it in all modes ?? Have you tried different mics (Mike problem ??) (Long shot - it isn't set on CW is it ??) Okay, I'm just guessing here.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What brand and model ?

4. Habez

Habez Registered Member

The radio is a Yaesu FT-2200. The antenna has a NMO magnetic base with rubber on the bottom to "protect the metal" (think this might be where the problem is). Then a misc antenna on top of that. I tuned it with a SWR meter, can't remember the exact numbers, but somewhere around 1.2-1.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The rubber can't be the problem , my magnet mount 2 meter works with a piece of felt under it just fine with my Alinco .

The fact that you can hear is a good thing . I am gonna ask my father in law if any one in his local club has experience with that radio .

Maybe they have an idea for you :k5: :k5:

6. orange82jimmy

orange82jimmy Registered Member

you are on a blocked channel that might be used by a fire dept or ems

7. Habez

Habez Registered Member

Nope. I can hit a repeater and have it recognize me, but nothing actually goes through(according to people who are helping me out). Then on another channel that all the guys I know up here use on a regular basis it's just the beep that goes through.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You might have a poor ground to the radio itself. That would be the first thing I would check.

9. Habez

Habez Registered Member

Thank you all who looked and responded to my post. Tonight I ended up going over to a guy's place that has been playing around with amateur radio for at least 50 years and he found out all that was wrong was a button was stuck on the microphone. I feel really dumb, but I'm greatful that it was as easy as that and I didn't have to buy a new radio. Thank you again to all who pondered my question.