Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 more die in offroad accident

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, Aug 12, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

This is very sad. This brings the total to 6 that I know of in the last few weeks killed in offroad accidents.

http://tinyurl.com/4n6ng

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Thanks Branndon

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed all these deaths have been in Jeeps. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it just me, or has anybody else noticed all these deaths have been in Jeeps. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think being in a Jeep has a whole lot to do with it considering it's probably a 10 to 1 ratio of Jeeps to everything else on the trails.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes this is scary! 3 different accidents now /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I cannot imagine losing both parents in an accident /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That is truely sad /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

What I notice is the lack of seatbelts. It's such a simple thing to put them on, really. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Most ameture/novice wheelers purchase Heeps so there are tons of them on the trails for that reason. Anyhow, it is a sad loss none the less. RIP

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is really sad. But no belts?!!!

11. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Belts wouldn't have saved them. It's an 800-1000 foot drop down a STEEP shale field. Bet that heep rolled a dozen times or more. I heard from a friend on the CSP that this recent wreck was only a few hundred yards up the trail from the one a couple weeks ago.

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it was potentially that dangerous surely you've got to wonder if kids should have been there in the first place. I don't know the trail obviously as I'm in another country but if it is known as an extreme trail then 'extreme' vehicles should be on it (cages and full harness etc). I guess they were just really unlucky and 'there but by the grace of God' go us all.

13. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

The two juveniles that were seriously injured in a jeeping accident last Saturday on Imogene Pass have been transferred to Children's Hospital in Denver, where Cole Gluklick, 11, remains in critical condition and Ian Nordstrom, 7, is listed in stable condition.

A Colorado Springs couple died and the two boys were badly injured when the Jeep Grand Cherokee they were riding in rolled about 800 feet down the Ouray side of the mountain at about 3 p.m. Aug. 7, ejecting all four passengers.

Daniel Gluklick, 50, and his wife, Jeanine, 47, were pronounced dead at the scene. Their son and the family friend were airlifted by helicopter to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction.

According to reports from the Colorado State Patrol office, the jeep was descending northbound from Imogene Pass in Ouray County when it pulled over to allow a Chevrolet Suburban traveling southbound to pass. When the jeep attempted to get back on the road, it drove onto some rocks, which lifted one side of the vehicle and caused it to roll off the embankment.

Ouray County Sheriff Junior Mativvi said it appeared that none of the passengers were wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident.

According to the police report, Cole Gluklick sustained injuries to his head, torso and extremities and Nordstrom suffered injuries to his head, chest and extremities.

The accident follows another fatal accident that occurred just two weeks previously on the next pass to the south, Black Bear Pass, when a Missouri couple lost control of their Jeep and rolled more than 900 feet down the steep slope above Bridal Veil Falls. The victims in that accident, also found to not have been wearing seatbelts, were pronounced dead at the scene.

The pair of fatal accidents on the passes above Telluride have made for an anomalous year in the region; local law and rescue officials have said that there had not been a fatal accident on either Black Bear or Imogene Pass in recent memory.

http://www.telluridegateway.com/articles/2004/08/12/news/top_stories/news03.txt

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It's not what I would call extreme, at least not in the sense that most here would consider it extreme. It is a trail easily done in a stock vehicle. Even easier in something like a jeep because it is very narrow. That is the primary danger. Just requires driver attention and focus. Paying attention to where your wheels are and where the edge of the road is.

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

It is anything but extreme. It is a series of switchbacks going up a mountain. I has been said that you could probably run 'Imogene Pass' in a car. However it is narrow and one mistake can obviously be fatal.

From Pirate thread:
    [ QUOTE ]
    The State Police officer told me that as the driver put his passenger side up on the embankment to let someone pass, his passenger front tire hit a fairly large rock that caused the jeep to be knocked back. During this knock back the front end slid down off the embankment so that the Cherokee was pointed towards the cliff. At this point the driver turned the wheel back towards the embankment. This wheel turn, coupled with the momentum of the vehicle caused it to roll onto the drivers side, smashing the windows out. (Theres glass on the trail where he went off). The jeep then continued to roll until it stopped some 800 ft below.

[/ QUOTE ]

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Belts wouldn't have saved them. It's an 800-1000 foot drop down a STEEP shale field. Bet that heep rolled a dozen times or more. I heard from a friend on the CSP that this recent wreck was only a few hundred yards up the trail from the one a couple weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not aggreeing or disaggreeing, but they did say they were ALL ejected from the vehicle. If they were wearing their seatbelts, they might not have been .crushed by the weight of the vehicle. It's true anything can/could of happened, but seatbelts do save more lives than they take

17. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Trust me, I preach about seatbelts all the time, but when you roll a vehicle for 800-1000 feet, YOU GONNA DIE. In or out of the vehicle, you're screwed. OUT, you get smushed or crushed, in, you get squished. Either way, tragic loss. I have a fear of heights (which is funny, because I'm a fireman, but things are different when lives are at stake I guess) and tried running Black Bear three years ago and had to have my buddy drive us back after a couple miles because I was just freakin out. So much for my bad-ass image, eh?

18. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Time to quash some inaccuracies!!!!!
    1. All occupants were in seatbelts, in fact one was in a child restraint seat. It was first thought that they were not in use since the belts were still buckled. Further investigation revealed that during the rolls the seats moved enough to allow the occupants to slip out of the belts.

2. This was not high speed. In fact very low speed. Some of the info in this post is correct. The jeep did pull to the right to let another go past and put its right tires on a rock face putting the jeep at an angle toward the driver's side. The jeep stopped. After the other vehicle went past the jeep moved forward to go back onto the road and the right front wheel moved some shale. The vehicle tipped to the driver's side and onto its top and went off the edge.

Just thought I should let a few of the facts be known. How do I know??? I covered the crash!! Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Anyone notice that the last few deadly accidents are jeepers?

20. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Trust me, I preach about seatbelts all the time, but when you roll a vehicle for 800-1000 feet, YOU GONNA DIE. In or out of the vehicle, you're screwed. OUT, you get smushed or crushed, in, you get squished. Either way, tragic loss. I have a fear of heights (which is funny, because I'm a fireman, but things are different when lives are at stake I guess) and tried running Black Bear three years ago and had to have my buddy drive us back after a couple miles because I was just freakin out. So much for my bad-ass image, eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true! There are many circumstances however you are better off in most cases to be seat belted in. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif