Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 or 4 bolt main?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TB2Blazer, Oct 19, 2004.

1. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a 1985 k5 blazer with a 350 and was wondering if it is a 2 or 4 bolt main engine?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

could be either, only way to be sure is to pull the pan and look.

my experience is if it came in a truck its a 4 bolt, but i have only had k20 and c20 motors. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know this is a dumb question but what exactly is it that has either the two or four bolts?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I know this is a dumb question but what exactly is it that has either the two or four bolts?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 3 center main bearing caps have 2 bolts on each side in a 4 bolt main motor , holds the crank in check under high horsepower and high torque . Under most real world conditions a 2 bolt block is fine for most applications . Now if you want to run high rpms/horsepower/maybe nitrous , you would want 4 bolt mains /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the main caps that hold the crank in place. there are 5 caps, the front and rear are always 2 bolt no matter what, the center 3 have 2 bolts on a 2bolt main and 4 bolts on a 4 bolt main.

6. TB2Blazer

TB2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Is that the only difference between the two engines is the crank bolts because i have a two bolt now and Í want to buy a four bolt but don't know if the intake and everything esle from my two bolt will work on a four bolt.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Is that the only difference between the two engines is the crank bolts because i have a two bolt now and Í want to buy a four bolt but don't know if the intake and everything esle from my two bolt will work on a four bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]
    that is the only difference. everything from your 2 bolt will work on a 4 bolt

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Externally all small block accessories will interchange for the most part . You can run a 4 bolt block with simmilar heads and your intake will fit /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

Well the 350 I pulled out of my 90 burb ended being a 4 bolt main.The lucky friend is putting it in a heep. I don't know what my 91 blazer had when the 454 replaced it.