Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 or 4 shocks up front?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by inscape, Aug 11, 2004.

1. inscape

inscape Registered Member

My Blazer has 4 shocks in the front. On one of the shocks the top metal casing broke and slid down so it rattles a lot over bumps. Anyway, are 2 or 4 shocks better? Mostly street driving, I'd prefer a smoother ride.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

One quality shock on each corner is perfect.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

desert racing: 4
    everyone else: 2

j

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

id go with 2. four is more expensive and nobody likes that.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

You mean total correct?

1 per wheel is all you need. However, 2 might look "cooler".

When we did my buddies SAS he had 1 rancho 9000, on the softest setting, then added another, 2 per wheel, also on the softest setting. He tells everyone it rides better with 2, and tells everyone dual shocks are better. However what I tried to say, and what he didnt understand is that if he had just made the 1 shock a little stiffer, it would have done the same thing. 4 is, as stated above more expensive.

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My vote is for 4 shocks up front. Mine rode and handled better after I installed 2 extra. It also looks a lot better.

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It also looks a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ] Not trying to flame but how does 2 shocks "look" better than 1? Unless they're all ghey and chrome then honestly who even looks at that? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you need at the very least... 6 shocks in the front... Be sure to remember to put the puts on there to protect the shaft.

As for the rear the bare minimum is 8, lined all the way across the top of the axle... Just like front make sure you have the matching booties on there. for extra ride comfort, get them all dipped in chrome, or painted pink or purple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    desert racing: 4
    everyone else: 2

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure 2 per wheel for dezert racing, IF one is a coil-over and the other is a by-pass. The now gone damper guru at bajaconcepts.com recommended one remote res Bils 7100 (255/70 valving to start with) per corner for my dezert chaser 3/4t 4wd Sub.

Like previously posted one per wheel is enough IF it is a quality part. Which removes all non monotube designs from consideration. So if those dampers don't have "Bilstein", Sway-A-Way", "Fox", or "King" on the side of them they're not worth considering.
    I know someone else is now selling a monotube (wonder who is making them?), but I know nothing about them so I won't say anything for or against.

10. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    It also looks a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ] Not trying to flame but how does 2 shocks "look" better than 1? Unless they're all ghey and chrome then honestly who even looks at that? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You might need 2 shocks per wheel up front to handle 14" wide wheels.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yes finally someone who agrees with me, I concur w/ RJ.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Not trying to flame but how does 2 shocks "look" better than 1? Unless they're all ghey and chrome then honestly who even looks at that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like chrome shocks. I like 14" wide polished aluminum wheels that you could count your eye lashes in. I like 2 or 3 shocks per side up front. I like 6 shocks all lined up across the back axle in uniform. I like it even more when they are all chromed and I really get hot and bothered if they are twin reservor chromed fox shocks. I hate seeing big tires stuffed up into fenderwells, I love seeing "smaller" big tires just barely into the fenderwell with lots of lift.

If you haven't gotten the point thats what I like and I am going to base my opinions on what I would prefer and what has worked for me. I can already see the "bling is stupid" flame wars coming on. If you think that anything done that looks nice is "ghey" go make insulting comments about it to someone that cares. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not trying to flame

[/ QUOTE ]
    Learn how to read...

[ QUOTE ]
    If you think that anything done that looks nice is "ghey"

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say this???? NO, Chrome has its place on a vehicle and personally shocks isnt one of em. Ill leave it at that. I know what you like and thats fine, dont take what I said as a personal attack..

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not trying to flame

[/ QUOTE ]
    Learn how to read...

[/ QUOTE ]

I know how to read perfectly well. Using the word "ghey" was a put down towards something(not myself, I relize that.)
    Thanks for "trying."

15. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i agree. i just did this to mine, and mine handles and rides better as well. rock on dude. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. rjfguitar

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

so what is your question? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif