Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" or 4"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Dec 28, 2004.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Hey,

Have some Christmas money and a '90 K5. Gonna buy a lift kit. Debating on 2" or 4". I don't do alot of wheeling, just a daily driver that I want to look good. Sags in the rear like many K5's so I want to get new suspension. Opinions???

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Go with a 4", much more noticable!

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

4" lift and some 33's would look cool.

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I went 4inch in the rear, 3inch in the front and am very happy.

5. Bob87Burb

Bob87Burb 1/2 ton status

I put a 2" all spring lift on my 87 Burb, my usage is the same as yours. Not so much a daily driver, but a family hauler on weekends. It's a Rough Country lift. Four springs, six shocks, steering stabilizer and all hardware was around $700. Not a bad price compared to new stock springs, and it's still a height that the wife and kids can get into without the aid of a step. The ride is comfortable, however the shocks are beginning to get bouncy after a year and a half, and 10k miles. It's to be expected, they're cheapo shocks.

From the information I got back when I was researching, I found that a 4" kit can be had even cheaper, apparently because it's more popular. The Burb would look great with a 4" lift, but it's just not practical for my needs right now. I suppose it all depends on how big of a tire you want to run, and how much lift you feel you want to make it look good. "Good" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people.

I also added the ORD zero rates in the rear, to compensate for saggy butt. (the truck's, not mine :)) It's really an optical illusion created by the 1/4 panel lines. The truck may not really be sagging, however it appears that way. The Zero Rates went in exactly as the instructions described, no surprises. They're well made, and well worth the money.

I ordered the kit directly from Rough Country, via phone. A Google search should find you the number you need.

If it matters, I'm running 32x11.5x15 tires on the stock rally wheels.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your decision!

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if u do 2" sooner or later u will wish u went w/ a 4" then sooner or later u will wish u got a 6", etc., etc.

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I bought the 2 1/2" lift and wished I had a 4" lift now. Your wheeling needs may change in the future and a 4" lift will secure you for up too 38" tires if you aren't afraid of the:hack:

Currently I am running 35's on my lift and the tires look to small IMO.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I wanted just a little bit for 33's . I got the 4 inch after seeing my friends . It rides great and no problems driving to work daily . I now want 35's LOL :xmas::xmas:

Click my sig links for pics of 4 inch lift :D

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Like they said - you will always want more so you might as well get the 4" now. Not that big a price difference.

10. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I'm running 33 x 12.5s right now. I think it will look really good with a 4". I'm also thinking of going with a Rough Country. Looks like the best deal for the money

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I started with a 2" and went to a 4" eventually and now I have 5" total lift. Get the 4" and save yourself some headache later. It will clear 33" tires better anyway.

Harley

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Be warned, Rough Country rides like crap. It's your choice, but I highly recomend Tuff Country and BDS. There is a reason Rough Country is so cheap !!!!! By the way, if the lift you get uses blocks in the rear, you'll still have the saggy rear problem. Best bet is too call someplace like ORD and let them put together a complete lift kit with everything you'll need.

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I put up a post asking opinions about Rough Country and most said that the ride was not that bad and that it softened after some use. Money is really not that much of an issue. I could get a different brand. I don't want to go crazy but I would spend a little more if it meant better quality. And I do plan to go with front and rear springs. NO blocks. How does Tuff Country compare in price?

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

And I belive both Tuff Country and BDS have the better ride quality. Every truck I've riden in with Rough Country felt like a old lumber wagon.

17. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

yep BDS or tuff country all the way dont even consider rough country, rancho, pro comp, or superlift

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get BDS or Tuff Country. I would use BDS personally. I have Tuff Country front springs and am not that impressed with them. My buddy has BDS front springs and I like them better then my TCs.

Harley

19. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I went with TC 6 " and went with 35s I didn't want to trim. But i did get the blocks. I wasn't too into offroading, but soon ill be getting rid of blocks, putting a sky shackle flip and 2" tc springs, getting rid of 35's and going bigger and hacking. I deffinately have changed my oppinion on offroading, I used to think its not that cool to go through alot of mud, and climb over rocks. I only wanted my truck for a DD and to look cool, now its a trail rig. I really love the way the front rides deffinately recomend Tuff Country!

20. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

4"

the kits are the same price ether way usally. go 4 " get gas shocks tho i did hydros first and on the street really firm gas was much better. might want to opt for 1" ord zero rates for back or 2" taller blocks if yours is saging bad. or get the new rear springs. if taller in back possible dshaft problems for length.