Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" ORD style add-a-leaf???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Mar 11, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

2\" ORD style add-a-leaf???

My buddy is thinking about putting a 2" add-a-leaf in the back of his k5. He already either has a 6" block or a 4" block and 2" leaf springs in the back. He has 35" tires, and 10 bolt axles (yes I know it is wrong). Will it be ok to add the 2" to it and still use to blocks or is he asking for trouble with it not being safe or breaking something? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Re: 2\" ORD style add-a-leaf???

The ORD "add-a-leaf" is a block. It just has the spring pack bolt going through it, which is actually a trick that goes back a couple decades for making a block installation more stable. He probably doesn't have a 6" block, because the biggest normally made is a 4" (which can actually look pretty tall), but many of these are actually 4 1/4. I think Superlift has a 5 1/2" block by special order. You really don't want this much block, though. For a lot of things, you can do pretty well with a 4' block, but you will just have to live with the occassional axlewrap. If he has a 4" block and 2" springs, that is about 8" in the back. This is more than enough for his 35" meats. If he is planning on bigger meats, he may as well be planning on new axles. If he really wants to go to 10" in the back, he should first do a 4" shackle flip, keep the 2" springs and then run a 2" block. This shouldn't even require new U-bolts, just the flip kit. If he is really thinking about stacked blocks (it's a bad idea, but it's been done without death before, I've even seen 4" blocks in the front, i.e., "please give me ticket before I roll it and die.."), the spring pack bolt should extend through as much as possible. For example, get a new allen head bolt that will extend through the 2" block and the spring pack, it's head sitting in the hole in the top of the second block. However, this is a bad practice and will also require some seriously long U-bolts. PLUS, the pinion angle may need adjusting and the driveshaft will almost certainly need some lengthening and probably a C/V joint. AND, you may as well plan on ladder bars to kill the axlewrap.

<font color=green>Stupid tourist at Mammoth Cave, Kentucky: "How many miles of unexplored passages are there?"</font color=green>

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

for a "add-a-leaf" thats a real leaf to add, get the rough country ones.
    they are like 40$ for the rear i think. you can find them in the lift section of you local jc whitney catalog [hehe]

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

can you say TWISTED!!! the axelwrap will be so BAD that sucker will be hoppin all the way down the trail!!! Until the driveline POPS !!
    Just say NO to blocks!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>