Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 Part Question, Please Read All Of It

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, May 9, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok first question
    what painless wire set up to i need for my k5

second question
    is it true that you can take a 2 wheel drive rear shackle, and put on the back of your four wheel drive and lift it 6 inches? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what painless wire set up to i need for my k5

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, what are you trying to accomplish....? Painless offers many different products...Are you looking to swap in a later model TBI or TPI motor? Are you looking to replace the in-cab wiring for the lights, HVAC, accessories, etc? The best thing to go to THEIR WEBSITE and see what they have to offer

[ QUOTE ]
    is it true that you can take a 2 wheel drive rear shackle, and put on the back of your four wheel drive and lift it 6 inches?

[/ QUOTE ]

Last time i peeked under the back of a 2wd, the shackles were the same as the 4wd...so the answer to your question is, NO

Chris

3. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

ok thanks, i was looking through summit and they only offer 4 types of painless just wondering
    and as far as teh shackles
    my freind said he was taking the front shackle mount off his 2 wheel and putting it on the back of his four wheel and reversing the shackle it self, and it would raise it 6 inches, i did not word it right in the first question and i appoligize for that /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I don't think 2wd trucks have shackles in the front as they are have a double A-arm coil suspension...

As far as reversing the shackle, that is very common...I have the ORD shackle flip with 2" lift springs which nets me about 6" of lift in the back...you can check out ORD shackle flip HERE This is the kit I have and it is wonderful..6 full inches of lift and a smooth ride You can also do a home-brew type flip where you cut the bottom of the spring hanger and "feed" the shackle through the hole you cut...I thnk this will get you about 4" or so of lift /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know what you mean. And yes it's true. You take the front hanger off the rear spring on a 2wd and use it to replace the rear hanger on the rear spring on a 4wd. Thus creating a shackle flip.

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

From what I've read/heard it has to be from a 2wd PICKUP, not a blazer.

7. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Mine is from a Blazer...

[​IMG]

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I know what you mean. And yes it's true. You take the front hanger off the rear spring on a 2wd and use it to replace the rear hanger on the rear spring on a 4wd. Thus creating a shackle flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a difference between the front, rear spring shackle on 2wd and 4wd trucks (blazers and subs have the same parts on them also). You can get about 1" more lift using the 4wd front, rear spring shackle compared to a 2wd version.