Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 part - Wipers and Heater

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by swamp donkey, Sep 24, 2002.

1. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

My "truck in a box kit" (as like to call it) has been mostly put together and driveable for the last few months. The only parts that didn't make it into the truck (and thus still live in the previously mentioned box) are the heater and wiper parts - or lack there of.
    Here is what I need... HELP!!! I have no idea where to begin.
    1st: The heater. I might or might not have all the parts. Anyone out there know what I SHOULD have, and hove it SHOULD go together?
    2nd: Wipers. I see the motor, and some places where vaccuum lines should hook up, but I am missing those lines, and the switch. what a mess.

Any advice, from anyone, on where to begin would be great. Thanks in advance, Dylan

2. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

Dylan,

What year truck do you have? I just worked on the wipers on my '72. If you have a '72 then the vacuum hook up are actually the washer pump hook ups. The windshield washer runs off the wiper motor. I have a couple but none of mine work. They move but don't quite pump water. It shouldn't be too hard to find a switch. There are three wires, if I remember correctly, yellow blue & black. They control the two speeds on the wiper. I took my motor out & cleaned it up & now it works like new.
    As for the heater, I haven't done that yet.
    Hope this helps,
    Brian

3. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

Dylan, I'm changing my heater box out right now and replacing it with a Vintage Air a/c system....just too dang hot in Houston! There are two main parts, the outside plenum and the inside plenum/controls. The outside part is a housing for the heater core and fan. It bolts to the exterior firewall. The inside part contains the valves to control air movement and the connections for air hoses to the defroster and floor vents. All control cables hook up to this part. PM me if you need specifics..maybe a call to run through the parts would help. Also, mine is all coming out today. Let me know if you need parts, I'd be willing to sell mine. PS....I think the LMC catalogue has a good breakdown of the parts.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Dylan,

If you haven't already discovered the "Factory Assembly Manual" which is available from ChevyDuty, or LMC......that's a "must have" item for figuring out how things were "Supposed" to look.

Lots of exploded views...it's basically the sheets that they used on the production floor to explain to people how to put the trucks together originally. The only problem with the book is that it seems to have been "shuffled" before they glued it together....nothing is in a logical order, so you'll have to search for everything! I have about 100 post-it notes in mine to bookmark the things I want to find later!

5. swamp donkey

Good to know tha vacuum lines are only for the washer. That makes things a lot simpler. Three or four wires I can handle no problem, and I assume LMC or CHevy Duty has the the handle. Thanks.

6. swamp donkey

There is a big black box hooked to the fire wall, so I at least have that part. I am going to get the Book that greg72 mentioned - that should clear things up.
    How does your new AC work? does it replace all the factory heater stuff as well? I live in Los Angeles, and next summer I may try to add AC. Let me know how the install goes.

7. swamp donkey

I am ordering the manual today. Thanks (again) for your input. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

The manual is great, I just got one a couple of weeks ago. They aren't labeled very well though. You should also pick up a wire diagram, or one of the members scanned them and posted them to a web site, but I don't have that URL bookmarked. The diagrams in LMC can be useful too.

9. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I may be intetrested in parts for the heater box. What year do you have?
    Eddie

10. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Other Info Source

To go along with the factory 'assembly' manual they also have in reprint a factory 'service' manuals available for each specific year.

Check e-bay for those, they seem to pop up alot on there.