Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2-piece driveshaft- VIBRATION FINALLY CURED!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have been trying to solve a minor vibration issue with my 83 1/2 ton truck for the last couple of years. The vibe started after I replaced the rear u-joint(the remaining two were still good so I left them in). I learned to ignore the vibe until I replaced my tires with new "C" load LT tires. The firmer tires made the vibe almost unbearable at 40-55 MPH.

Anyhow, after a lot of research and some good advice from drivelineman(Thanks, Jess!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif), I took my truck into a local driveshaft place and let them take a look.

I can't exactly recall what the service manager told me, but it was along these lines: Apparently during the 80's GM didn't "true" their driveshafts before they were installed, Instead, they could compensate for minor warpage by adjusting where the u-joint was installed in the yoke. When you swap in an aftermarket u-joint, you can't offset where it sits in the yoke and can throw the balance out. I may not have explained that properly- maybe someone can describe it better....... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyhow, the shop replaced all the u-joints while the driveshaft was out. They also straightened the shaft and balanced it. Can I have a "Halleluja"??? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif For the first time in 3 years I can drive down the highway and not feel a vibration!!!!!!

Sorry for the long post, but I thought a couple of you may be in the same boat and could learn from my experience. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting, i hope someone that knows more about the u joint position in the yoke deal reads that and will comment on that, im curious to know about that.

glad vibration is fixed finally /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

glad i could help- Jesse