Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 Quart Oil Filter Part Numbers ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Jul 5, 2002.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    Are you guys running any huge oil filters ? i heard that there is a 2 quart model out there somewhere. It was factory for some late model heavy duty options. What do you guys know about it ?
    thanks,
    Blake

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I run the huge STP filter...Part # 373 I believe. The Fram part # is PH373. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Not sure about the part number, but you'll know it when you see it. Pretty much just look for the tallest filter on the shelf, with a box with the right proportions, and check the fitting. On a side note, I would strongly recommend against Fram based on what I've seen regarding their quality.

4. pops83k5

pops83k5 Registered Member

I run a NAPA gold standard. I beleive the PN is 1794 or close to it. It is only 1-1/2 quart but it
    does increases the oil cap up to 6 qts in my 350. I'd avoid the FRAM, too. Not sure if K&N makes a
    large cap but might be worth a look.

wsc

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I use a Wix 2 qt filter, part # 51794.

6. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

I use the huge ones. I cant tell you the part number off th top of my head, cant even tell you what brand because i pretty much just use what is on sale.

7. aztec777

aztec777 1/2 ton status

I believe you guys are talking about P/N's for SBC. Are there larger filters for BBC?

Steve

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Although I like the idea of a larger filter, IIRC NAPA (and its only made in the "gold" series, they have the 2qts) charges like $11 for a 2qt, and about $2 for a 1qt. You can change a 1qt a lot of times for that kind of cost difference.

Thats just me though, if it makes you feel better, run the larger one.

9. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I got the big GM Delco filter last oil change, It holds almost 2 quarts, and it bumped my total capasity to 7 quarts, I couldn't believe it becuase everything is stock but I put 7 quarts in it and it's full by the stick. More oil is better in my opinion. I've grown up around big rigs and big diesel motors. They run huge ammounts of oil and big coolers and thats why they can run 500k+ if treated properly.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no need to avoid FRAM. There is a guy online (I'd have to search for a link) who did a LOT of research into oil filters. He litterally had to buy 3 of each... 1 to disassemble/analyze and 2 for road testing etc. He did this with like 40 different filters. No idea WHY he did all this, but he's pretty much the most informed oil filter guy I have ever seen. At any rate, he said that the medium grade FRAM is actually a very good filter. Think its called "tough guard" or something. Interestingly, he said the spendy version of the FRAM (forget what its called, but its the most expensive type of fram u can get) was a worse filter. who knew. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I have been using the tough guard for quite a while and like it a lot.

J

11. ol_grayfeather

ol_grayfeather Registered Member

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

On straight axle trucks, the same filter will fit both the SBC and BBC. The filters in question here are simply different lengths allowing for different capacities. Bigger is always better!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As far as Fram filters, and actually any oil filter goes, All namebrand filters on the market will protect your engine effectively if you follow the manufacturers recommendation for replacing. If you are the guy/woman that changes oil every 3000 (or recommended) miles, a Fram filter will protect your engine as well as a high dollar one (***to cover my butt, I will add "within reason"). Where the difference in filters comes in is for those who put 5000+ miles on them before changes or when operating under severely dirty/dusty climates (although the dust shouldn't make it into your oil, it does make a difference). The surface area and bypass springs only allow for so much contaminate filtering. Cheaper quality (not necessarily price) filters only allow for minimum protection (which should easily net you 3000 miles) whereas others have the ability to filter out more contaminates allowing you to prolong oil changes. If you change your oil once a year under daily use or every 12,000 miles, than a Fram filter is not for you (other filters will do a better job, but none are really designed for that torture). Considering oil is the "lifeblood" of your motor, extended oil changes (although "allowed") are not recommended. That being said, Fram are good filters for daily drivers that are properly maintained (even I changed my views on this, as I used to hate Fram due to "stories" I had heard, but a mechanic friend with old filters cut in half made me understand). I will say that one thing to consider is the size (in microns) that the filter will "screen". For added protection some filters will remove smaller particles. Most (read not all) "storebrand" filters filter to the same Micron level, but several more expensive (as they should be) filters will filter out more/smaller contaminents. Something to keep in mind, and remember you usually get what you pay for, but that the flipside of that is you don't always get what you pay for......

Just food for thought.