Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 questions about brakes??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lance, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

First, I have rear disk brakes and have done some reading and decided to go with the '78 Corvette Master Cylinder. It doesn't appear the threads match between the hard lines and the MC (although I haven't tried that hard). Has anybody else used this MC and come up with the same problem. On a side note the rear line appears to mate to the front "hole" and the front line appears to mate with the rear. Do I need to transpose these lines to match the MC.

[​IMG]

Second, does any one know if the bolt that mounts the brake fluid distribution block on the rear differential housing is a banjo bolt. Parts Counter Guy at the dealership says it is a M8 x 1.0 x 23.5. Said it was not a banjo bolt and does not need washers. That doesn't sound right to me. I labeled all my parts and put them into bags before I started my axle swap, but I can't find the one bag that had the parts for this in it. [​IMG]
    The part I am refering to is in the upper center of the page with the hard brake line coming out of the left side.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lance

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i am clue less about your master question, but on the rear line( i just put mine on 10 min ago) it looks like a banjo bolt, but there are no holes in it, it has the shoulder like the banjo bolt. mine had no washers on it originaly and i didnt put any back on

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It is not a banjo bolt, the hole in it is just to bolt it to the housing. </font color>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The rear brake distrubution block doesn't need or use a banjo bolt, as no fluid goes through the bolt. Fluid comes in through the rubber line on top of the block, then goes out through the steel lines mounted on either side. There's a metal bracket that bolts under one of the diff cover bolts, then the brake distribution block bolts to that bracket. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I haven't messed with a '78 Corvette master cylinder, so I can't be of much help with that part. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure that the bolt that holds the distribution block to the bracket is a shoulder bolt.

6. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone! I have tried to find that bolt (special order through the dealer) but have had no luck finding a shoulder bolt of near that dimension at the local hardware or auto parts stores. I bought a couple of standard bolts in that size and may try using a washer with it if I can't find one.

Now can anybody help me with my MC question?

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm not to familiar with the rear disc brake swap, why do you need to change the m/c ?
    If it is purely from worry about the Residual Pressure Valve (RPV) leaving the rear brakes aways on just a little, that's easy to fix. Run a tap into the little brass 'berry' that the Inverted Flare seals against. Keep going, pretty soon the berry will come out. Behind it should be a little spring and a poppet. Remove those and reinstall the berry. No more drum brake RPV.