Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 questions:flywheel,VIN #

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jones, Mar 6, 2007.

1. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

1) I was told that a flywheel from an externally balanced 454 would work on a 400. true or false? what year(s)454?

2) are the rivets on the vin tag specific to auto manufactuers? I'm scrapping the cab but it's got a clean title so I want to keep the vin in case I come across a buildable truck without a title or a salvage title. Yes,I know it's illegal. But if I can get away with it for registering it as an ORV,that's really all I'm looking to do. Actually,I'm not looking to do that.I'd rather do things legally.but just in case...ya know?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

454 and 400 do not use the same flywheel and it won't work. They have different external weight.

Yes, VIN rivets are different than any other rivet. They are called rosett (sp) rivets and can't be had anywhere. It is highly illegal to swap a VIN plate (i know people do it all the time). If you are going to just register it offroad you don't need a VIN number. Think about what happens if you build your own buggy, no VIN there.

3. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

vin trick

well one thing a buddy of mine did was take out the metal dash the vin is attached to then you can weld in the dash in your new truck and use that vin and title.. its illegal if you get caught though.

ray

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

illegal but often done..

One way I've seen body shops get around the rivet dilema, is to grind them off from underneath the dash,leaving the heads intact in the VIN plate,and then use glue, or use double sided foam tape to attach the tag...don't get caught doing this,it's a felony,unless done by a legal body shop that is replacing a crashed cab,and has it re-inspected by a state trooper or registry of motor vehicles inspector..:crazy:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen those rivets in Corvette magazines.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not impossible to get really..

For rivets that are supposed to be "unavailable" to the general public,I have also seen them for sale in "restoration" magazines,and nearly every body shop here that does major collision repairs have some hidden away in a desk drawer,or tool box!..I've even heard of guys working at GM at a plant not far from here sneaking them home and selling them..more than one guy has also "custom ground" regular pop rivets to "look" just like the OEM ones..I bet few "inspectors" know what they really look like--or even CARE,on a 20+ year old rusty truck!..I think unless its a fairly new vehicle,very few "inspectors" care really...:crazy: