Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 questions for da boyz!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Aug 25, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

1st, can I mount my shocks upside down? ie. piston rod facing the ground (procomps es 3000's). Keep dust and dirt out of them.

2nd question, What could the ill effects be from running a 4 barrel Holley carb with 390 cfm on a 350ci be except starving engine. i.e. If it runs fine will it be fine.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Rancho's didn't work at all when they were upside down...of course even right side up they suck.

Seriously, a lot of shocks are not meant to be mounted that way and the internal valving isn't designed to work that way.

Not sure on the carb...I'd guess it'd have a crappy upper range but might be OK into the mid range. I kinda doubt it could feed enough fuel to be acceptable for a small block. Generally 500 cfm is about as small as you 'should' go and even that would be borderline.

If mounting it isn't too much of a pain it might be worth a try.

Rene

3. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I cant really speak from experience with trucks....but I know with dirtbikes and quads...a smaller carb offers better low end power wheras a bigger carb improves the top end...I'd say try it and see /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I have been running one of my shocks upside down since February ( flip rotated mount too low on 2wd housing , tube hits axle tube ) with no ill effects . No problems from mine upside down . Lots of driving to work , and off camber trails too . As for the carb , it wouldn't be no worse than feeding a 350 with a Rochester 2GC or 2GV two barrel carb I would suspect , maybe better anyway /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well I installed the Holley today and it started right up! Seemed to idle fine but I was unable to test drive it tonight will let you guys know. I think I will leave the shocks a lone. I mean how much dust and dirt can get in there anyways /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

390 CFM is fine if you never expect to exceed 4,000 RPM or so.

As to mounting those shocks upside down, no, only monotube shocks (Bilsteins and similar) can be mounted upside down. Twin tube shocks do not work upside down, the oil will pool on the wrong side of the piston.