Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 questions for the caddy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHAWNSTER, Jul 24, 2006.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

i did a tune up on the caddy and when i changed to the cap i took the old rotor off and did not put the new one on-i go out today to put it on and do not remember which way i had it on-is it as easy as if I put in wrong( it will mount with contacts facing either way) can i start it and if it is wrong just swap it the other way- or will it mess up the timing- 2nd question-this car has sat for years -b4 starting it 3 weeks ago i pulled the plugs and sprayed wd40 all thru the holes with like 1 6-8 straw(got way in there)-b4 starting it should i do any pre oiling on the motor-what would you all suggest.

thanks for the input

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

toon up...

The rotor should only fit on correctly one way--it has a square "key" in the bottom of it,that has to fit into the square cutout on the advance weights it screws onto..

I'd squirt some regular motor oil in the plug holes before trying to start it--only a teaspoon or so per cylinder,more will tend to hydro-lock the motor up..WD-40 isn't that great a lubricant,its better for driving water and moisture out than lubricating,and you dont want dry pistons scuffing against the cylinders..it will make it smoke like a chimmney after it starts,but thats better than a dry start by far..:crazy:

3. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

I thought the rotor would only go on 1 way-but you can put it in screw it down and the the same for the other way-will it throw off my timing or just as simple as switching it it it does not fire up??

thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The rotor only fits one way correctly--though I suppose its possible to force it on, so the square "peg" goes into the round hole on the advance weights,instead of the square one--which will throw the timing 180 degrees out of whack!..if it backfires thru the carb when you try starting it,its most likely on wrong--unscrew the bolts and flip it 180 degrees and screw it back on..:crazy:

5. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

there is no forcing it-there are 2 screw holes-1 on each side and you can sit it either way and screw it down-i will try and start it up tomorrow-i have to take the cap back now-1 of the hold downs is broke-the spring will not let the screw go up or down-its just stuck-thanks=also what kind of gas treatment should I use for the old gas in the tank?

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

You won't really hurt anything if you put the new rotor on backwards, as stated above it will backfire and you know its backwards.

How old is the gas in question? If its been sitting a real long time I would say drain it. If its only been a few months put some water treatment in there and try it. Might want to invest in second fuel filter so you can see how much crud is in your tank if its been sitting for a year or more