Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 questions - Removing carpet & axle truss for 10bolt 8.5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by badmix, Sep 13, 2006.

1. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Hello, I figured Id ask both questions in one post instead of clogging things up with multiple posts. lol

1) Has anyone yanked their carpet on a Daily Driver? Im jus curious as to how much louder things are inside. Im thinking of yanking my carpet outa my '84 Blazer for a couple reasons 1: clean up would be easier 2: its seems there is a good 100-200lbs worth of carpet and insulation, weight savings can only help, esp. since I carry ton o gear inside. I would plan on LIne X or Rino line the inside. Maybe one of those DIY kits.

Opinons, suggestions and/or comments????????

2) Does anyone make an axle truss for the GM 10bolt 8.5. I contacted DIY4x4, they said they dont make one, but hinted that they may be able to do a custom job. Jus wondering if there is a bolt on off the shelf type deal out there.

Thanks for looking , any and all help appreciated. :D

2. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Registered Member

One issue that I have run into on a daily driver is the insulation that the carpet provides from the heat.

3. mrmojo32

mrmojo32 Registered Member

Carpet

I pulled my capet the other day and got a Rhino Liner sprayed in the back and wrapped over to the rear floor board. I had to wait a week or so for the front molded carped to come in from LMC.

I don't know if it was that much louder because I have had my top off, but I had to get something out of the rear seat and I knelt down where the rear passenger's feet would go. Needless to say I jumped up quick because it was so hot.

If you really want to rhino the whole thing you might think about having custom heat shields weilded into place between the exhaust and floor. I have headders feeding flow-masters, so this may have made my case worse.

4. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

See, im running full length headers, cats and flowmasters too. If I pulled carpet, I was also thinking of jus replacing with the LMC rubber flooring. Still be easier to clean.

When I did my heater core, I yanked pass. seat for more room and pulled the carpet back as far as possible incase I leaked antifreeze (which I didnt). But the flooring underneith looked like it did the day it was new. So I was happy about that. But it was a Texas truck. lol.

So I dunno, this is part of why ive been waffling with the idea of removing carpet in the first place. I definently dont want the heat, the noise I may be able to tolerate. but not the heat. gets hot enuff down here, dont need any help. lol

5. mrmojo32

Carpet

I saw that mat in LMC also. I just really liked the carpet and I got it in the mail yesterday and it has padding under it and is fully formed with nice seams and a rubber section where the drivers feet go.

6. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

i plan on ditching all the carpet and doin line from the tail pan all the way up to the dash will so im curious to see if it will be louder inside cahnces are i wont using her in the winter so im not worried about heat

7. SC-Texas

I may order new carpet form LMC. I am planning on turning mine into a daily driver.

8. mrmojo32

Carpet

Another thing good about the carpet is it also has the side panels included for the spot where the shoulder belt connects on the side. I don't know what that panel is called but I had no idea it came with it.

9. Myke

Myke Registered Member

I pulled the carpet in mine but some of it is stuck/melted/glued to the metal. Any tips on getting it off?

10. mrmojo32

GLue

I just did mine and I used a cordless drill with a wire wheel attached and all the glue came off real easy. the worst part was on the fender wells.

11. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

So ya looking to get rid of it? Any pics? Ya can email me if ya wanna.

Speedfreak908@hotmail.com :D

12. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've got the Rhino Truss/skid combo on my 8.5" 10b front axle and I like it. One problem w/ the setup like this on the front axle though is if you really (and I mean really) hit something hard they have been known to slide around (they only clamp onto your axle tubes) and have the back of the skid smash into your u joint and cause a bunch o' problems.
    If you welded it onto the axle tube in a few places I think you would be fine, I haven't but then again I won't ever see rocks....

Trig 012.5.jpg

Driveshaft 004.5.jpg

Picture 048.5.jpg

13. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I removed my pad and rubber mat from my 1987 and yes you do get more heat also and I have noticed it is louder a little bit. will be putting pad down and carpet when I fix spots.

14. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

I appreciate it. I cant view pics though, Im not yet a member. :doah: One day.lol.

15. SC-Texas

Are there any proiducts that protect the tie rod? That seems very vulnerable.

Also, what does the truss do?

The skidplate part is obvious.

16. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

The truss jus supports the axle tubs and housing.

17. Avery4jc

Here ya' go...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    -Avery

18. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

Wow. Thanks for the pics. thats some beefy material there.

19. Avery4jc

What did ya' expect? Aluminum Foil?

-Avery

20. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Avery what you do go wash the truck! Dam it looks clean enough to eat off of......