Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 98sub454, Feb 5, 2003.

1. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

My first and more important question is about driveshaft angles. i just installed a 10" lift on my 76 K5. and i was wondering if i just lengthened my shafts if it would be alright, or do i need to get a high angle type shaft

my other question is about seats for the truck, i am looking for some type of high back seat
    what kind of seats could i swap into the truck relatively easily that i may be able to pick up from the junkyard.

thanks

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Was all that 10" in the suspension?
    Yeah, you're going to have some driveshaft problems if all you do is lenghten them. Up front, you should already have a double cardan at the transfer case, so that should be ok. You may have troubles with it operating at such a harsh angle though - they can bind when operating at really severe angles. Out back, you'll want a double cardan setup too. Now, some may say it's not necessary, but you'll go through a lot of u-joints if you don't do it - even if you've got your angles right. My first suggestion about this is to PM drivelineman, his name is Jess. He runs High Angle Driveline.....ask him your questions and he'll give you professional answers. Great guy.
    at the bottom of this good article is some contact info for you

About the seats....I'm not too sure what will swap in directly in place of your old ones, but I think Supersize75 just got some from a minivan. I'm sure it will take some fabrication for them to work....but how much - that he'll have to answer.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Later K5 seats are high backs.

I *believe* seats from 80's Camaro's will bolt in too, and probably be more supportive. GM tends to be good with seat interchanges...the brackets won't work of course, but you just unbolt the Camaro seats from their brackets, and bolt them to the K5 brackets. Haven't had a chance/reason to check myself, but if you unbolt the passenger seat from the bracket, a wrecking yard should let you bring that in and test fit seats to it.

Worth a look anyways, not like there is a shortage of Camaro buckets.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The Safari and astro van seat should bolt up the same.
    As for driveshafts, like they said you need something more than just length.

5. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

Your right,
    I got 87 Z28 seats in my Blazer.

6. dyeager535

Were they direct bolt in's? This will be an awesome swap if so.

7. mattyblazer

They were in the truck when I got it , but a friend of mine did the job. I think it was a matter of drilling the K5's base to match the camaros bolt pattern, I will call his shop today and find out for sure. I have had them out a few times and thats all it looked like to me.

8. dyeager535

Might be that the 2nd gen f-bodies(pre-81?) are the ones that would bolt in, since the high back and low back blazer seats will swap on the same seat brackets.

What are your thoughts on how yours look? I have a feeling the 3rd gen f-body ones will look better in the later K5's, while the early ones might do well with the 2nd gen seats.

Even if it does require changing the bolt pattern on the bottom of the seat, it could be worthwhile, it's hard finding good K5 seats anymore, although they can be rebuilt for not TOO much money.

9. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

I have the stock highback and don't find them too supportive. I'm going to go for a walk around the autowreckers when it gets warmer and try and find a more supportive set(more lateral support) as when I am wheeling I usually end up driving one handed, and grabbing the seat frame to keep myself in the seat. This could be corrected by installing racing lap belts but I'm a cheap prick!

10. dyeager535

I don't know what GM was thinking with most of their seats during our trucks time frame.

The A/G-bodies from 78-88 also have bucket seats that are poorly designed. Weak frames and no lateral support.

Someone mentioned the Astro's, thats a good shot too, since they started back in the 80's as well, and all are buckets.

Cheap is good, as long as they work for you!

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

sorry for the hijacking, but, dyeager, did you know that your links in your sig don't work anymore?

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Worked for me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Thats because he fixed it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

You should feel the seat in my vette. Slipery as all hell. You turn left and end up in the passengers lap. Fortunately in 78 they changed the belts and it only has one retracter so I can lock the position of the lap belt and allow the should belt to float.

15. mattyblazer

I think that they look like they came in the truck, much nicer and practical than the goofy factory seats that bend and crack. I am not posetive that they even had to be drilled to fit, they look very natural and there is the added bonus of support (lower back). In my opinion even if it required 5 or 10 minutes of drilling to make it work it would be well worth while. While we are on the subject I sure wish I had a pair of recaro's out of a 3rd generation trans am to go in my baby.