Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 quick D44 swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Oct 1, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

This weekend I'm changing out the 10 bolt front in my '90 burb for a D44 8 lug from a '79. I've basically totally rebuilt the thing, but have two quick questions that I want cleared up before I begin.
    1) The calipers from my '90 half-ton will for sure bolt up to the D44?
    2) Will I be able to use the tie-rod from my 10 bolt on my D44? Will it be a direct bolt-up (ie, no change in length adjustment needed)?

Thanks. I'm just trying to weed out any problems there might be now instead of while I'm doing it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

1. Yes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Yes.....you may need to adjust the length to properly set the toe angle though. I am sure there are production tolerances that have to be accounted for, therefore the adjustablity of the tie rod. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I just swapped out my 6-lug D44 for an 8-lug D44 this past weekend.....so it is still fresh in my mind. If you have any questions, ask away!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

The stock steering stabilizer mounts different between the 2 but if your using an aftermarket one it won't matter. Other that that both will work just fine.