Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 ?s: First, gummy carb. Second, slip driveshaft.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Feb 14, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Got two current dillemas.

1) Truck has been sitting for 2 years. Tried to crank it tonite. Starter spun, gas went through the carb, wouldn't turn over. Was wondering if I could have a gummed up carb? The gas came through the return line for sure. Maybe electrical. Motor tried to spin, fan spun, ect. But no catch.

2) Front driveshaft that has the slip in it. They're frozen together. This has also been sitting for 2 years. I can't pull it out to adjust the d/s for install. Greased it up good and still no go. Is it screwed? Any advice.

Thanks guys. I appreciate any info/advice you can give.

Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check that there is a squirt of gas into the primaries (assuming Q-jet) when you hit the accelerator. (just look in there with the engine off, after cranking for a few seconds) If there is gas getting into there (which it already sounds like there is) and the choke is closing, then check for spark.

Front driveshaft, as long as its not too long, (original shaft) I'd just say get the truck running, and drive it a few feet. I guarantee, the first bump you hit will unstick that thing. When I used the wrong driveshaft on the front of mine it was hard to even install, and was fully compressed..man was it a bear to "unstick" once I pulled it...but thats because it was the wrong driveshaft, not just from sitting.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

On the first one, the motor is spinning but it is not firing? Or the motor is not spinning at all? If it is spinning and not firing, I would say it is timing related..

#2 - Try tapping the slip joint out with a hammer with the t-case side attach.. I have had to do this is other vehicles before...

Mike

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>
    says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Good point on the engine. It might be spark related. I was trying to diagnose it at 1am so I wasn't thinking right I guess.

The driveshaft is stock and fully compressed now.That's the prob. I cant even pull it out to install. I'm going to clamp it in a vise and tap it like mike said. If it'll free up good. If not, I'll cut the ends off and make a square driveline.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks mike. I'll do that. hook up the CV end and tap tappy tappy it out.

And check the timing. I was just stoked that the electrical all worked. the truck sat outside for about 6 months and oppossums took up residence in the engine bay. I thought surely they'd eaten some wires, but all ok on that front.

Ok I'll do some diagnostics and get back.

Sherman, Tx