Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 scores in 1 week

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Oct 17, 2006.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive been looking for a 454 for a couple weeks, ever since my 350 has been acting REALLY tired. i find this on craigslist in detroit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    its a 454 GM test motor. its the only 454 that i have seen with the coil on plug and a drive by wire. it has a block heater and a wierd balancer, and 8 quart oil pan (that i just hope clears the front diff, looks like it'll be a tight fit). its missing most of the head bolts(have 12), only have 2 valve cover bolts, 2 upper pletnium bolts, and 2 or 3 intake bolts.
    it doesn't have a partial vin on the block, just the numbers that you see written on the valve covers.
    the big reason i bought it is its preaty much a new block, heads and its a factory roller cam.
    i know it has a broken piston skirt and atleast 1 broken ring (only pulled one piston out). im going to rebuild it and squeeze some more power out of it. id like to keep the vortec FI, but i don't have a harness or a computer. i also will have to put a distributor back in it, unless i can find a 8.1L harness, computer and the rest of the drive by wire setup. i picked this up for $500

saturday i went to a racecar swap meet to sell some of my small block stuff. i get to walking around and i find this.
    [​IMG]
    picked it up for $75
    im going to clean it up and rebuild it.
    i also traded one of my 4 bolt 350 blocks for a set of brandnew headers for a chevy truck with a BBC.

2. blazin83

blazin83 Registered Member

good finds!

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That strikes me as being a marine 454 -- If that is the case, it'll be a monster for power...

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Nice score on the winch. I got this one a few months back for $100. :D
    [​IMG]
    Complete with controller. ;)

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its a Vortec 8100, and yes, it is a power monster.

6. big83chevy4x4

Jeremy, its a 454 block, casting numbers match a 454 and has the little 7.4L cast into the right side of the block. the heads match a 454, not a 8.1.

can anyone confirm its a marine motor? i know the 8 quart oil pan is marine or medium duty truck. how else would you know? id like to findout what cam it has in it so i can decide if i want to run it or buy something else.

7. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The biggest hint towards it being a marine engine is the DIS system, as far as I am aware, no 454 ever installed in a land vehicle had DIS factory...

8. big83chevy4x4

if you reread the first post, its a GM test motor. its not a production motor. they most likely were testing the DIS system, don't know about the Drive by wire, could be just the dyno controller.
    if you look at the front of the intake it has the firing order, 18436572 and each cylinder is numbered on the valve cover. would make it easy to tell apart when in the control room of the dyno.

from what i can find online, a 454 marine looks just like a 454 land engine, ie distributor.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i had a chance to get an 8100 out of a totaled med duty truck of some sort (wasnt interested in a big block at the time so i never saw it :screwy: ) it had an intake that looked very similar to that, that's why i thought 8100. maybe its one of the test mules for the injection system that came on the 8100s :dunno:

10. big83chevy4x4

could be

the 8.1L intakes that i have seen had the throttle body in the front with an upward angle to it. i looked on ebay to find a 454 with the DIS and DBW (found none threw 2000, 2001 was 8.1L FYI) and the throttle body was above the valve cover like this motor. when i first seen it, i thought it wasn't a vortec FI becuase of where the TB was.

11. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think my 96 7400 Vortec had the same, or very similar intake. And it did have a small dist. in back.