Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 speed rear end

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77crewcab, Jul 2, 2005.

1. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone has considered installing a 2 speed rear end out of the 6/7000 series trucks to use on a tow rig? There is a GMC 6000 at the local yard with a 465/2 speed rear and shile the rear axle is pretty big it got me thinking about if it could be done or if it would even be beneficial. Any thoughts?

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

it would allow you to get a lot larger load rolling with a smaller engine. ie 350 :D although my grandfather has a 70's c60 w/ 350/465 straight geared rear! And yes I used to haul the full 6 yrds of sand in that truck just like his other 80's c70 366/5-speed/split rear would. I was even able to accelerate faster with the "little" truck than another guy could with the bigger truck. LOL so I guess it's all about how you drive what you have and what you need it to do.

3. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Honestly just thought it might be a cool thing to have for a tow rig to basically have 8 gears (with 465) and have some LOW gears to get rolling similar to how a semi does. With experience driving both style axles in the same size truck do you think it would work well for a daily driver/tow rig on a crewcab?

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

well seethe way I always use a split rear is start off in low range, shift through gears in low till yer top gear, then shift the rear up to high range. And yes I think it would work well. Have considered it myself :D

5. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

Thats what I was thinking too. Should certainly help with the gear spacing problems of the 465. I guess if it isnt enough a gear vendors could always be added. Seems like an interesting idea anyway wonder how much fab work would be required.

6. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

these 2-speeds axles , how do they work ?

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

vacuum

they are big
    huge
    overkill

personally i wouldnt do it

but good luck

i have owned a few big trucks so i know about them and have driven them

the last oen i had was a 53 6400 the GVW of the thing was 16,000

thats the largest you can legally drive in IL on a regular drivers license

the vacuum system for the axle ranges was broken,

its a PITA fixing that when it happens, i never got to fix it and ended up selling the truck, it was in good shape otherwise, clean truck and all, i only gave 500 for it and drove it away
    its still running around town, saw it last week, i had it a couple years ago,

heh

8. Lonnie P

Lonnie P Registered Member

Unless you are getting the rear from a diesel version of the truck, it will likely be geared very steeply. Most range from 5.29 to 7.17 in high range. For low range multiply by 1.36.

I have one with 7.17:1 & it is 9.77 in low.

You better have a very tall tire or plan to go slow while towing.