Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 stroke leak down tester???

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by kgillyk5, Jul 6, 2006.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Any dirtbike gurus?

Anyone make there own leak down tester? My kx125 is getting noisy and probobly needs a new piston ring but I would like to check for air leaks before I tear down. I cant believe you need $250+ for what looks like a turkey baster and 30 bucks worth of adapters and gauges.:eek1:

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Is there any reason a typical leak-down tester for a truck won't work? Those are in the under $100 range. TAV-08015

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

cars and trucks run 14mm threads. jap bikes run 12mm threads. most kits dont come with that one.

4. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

You can buy rings for a lot less than the testor. Hell you can get all the gaskets (I use permatex aviation gasket maker on the center case) and crank seals plus rings for under $250 IMO and then you have new rings and no leaks

also I like to change the reeds at the same time as the rings

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Oh.
    Well, that's not too difficult to solve. Old sparkplug; meet air fitting.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

a piston and rings will cost you 70 bucks, with gaskets and exhaust orings your looking at around 100-125 bucks. The thread on the oplugs is the same. Just do the top end. it will take you half a day and will be WELL worth the money...

7. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Was just doing a routine top end the other day when I got in there and found two cylinder cracks on either side of the exhaust port:doah: . just a reminder that a quick rebuild on these bikes can quickly add up due to worn out/broken parts, but at least you will catch it before it takes out other things:wink1: . Good luck.
    -Kell-