Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2-stroke Vs. 4-stroke

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MXmastermike, Apr 5, 2002.

1. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

I am an avid dirtbike fan, and this debate has held long between my group of friends. Are 4-stroke's better then 2-strokes? And dont get any dirty thoughts, im talking about engines in dirtbikes and quads.

Along with this debate usually comes the raptor vs. banshee debate, and sometimes even the YZ426 vs any 2-stroke 250 debate.

I wont get into the debate yet, i just want to instigate it, but i will tell you that i lean more toward the 2-stroke side.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I prefer the 2 strokes myself ...... they're soon to be a thing of the past though because of the emissions issue that has surfaced the last couple of years ....... You can't deny the power band of the 4 strokes however ....... I own a Polaris 400L Sport which is a 2 stroke, now they're all 4 strokes ...... the market is heading in that direction ....... as far as motocross goes, the 4 strokes seem to have a bit of an edge to a degree, as long as the rider can handle the characteristics that they put out ....... it seems that they can keep a lead but have to be driven almost flawlessly or the 2 strokes will eventually overtake them and begin to run away .....time will tell but I love your debate ! It will be interesting to see what others will say about it .

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Torque is King! If you want gobs of usable power go with the 4 stroke.

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Cc to CC a two stroke will womp on a 4. 4 stroke is best for torque (pulling, crawling, working, etc.) and two strokes rock for racing due to the higher rpms. Now to blur the line between 4 and 2. A 4 stroke with dry sump oiling system and super light rotating assembly, along with the right head (s), could conveivably be built to almost mimic a 2 stroke. I don't think 4's will ever get the r's that a 2 is capable of (similarily built 2 - 4) though. This is all just my humble opinion. I prefer 4 stroke simply for the ease of pulling into any gas station and being able to fill her up without mixing, and not having to rebuild the top end every 40 or so hours. But 2's are definitely more fun to screw around on. Just the maint thing sucks.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The cc thing gets blurry on the big-bores. I can clean up on every CR500 I run across/over. Fireroads, hillclimbs etc....
    The 2 strokes can get me off the line - I weigh 215 plus my bike is heavier than most MXers.
    As 4 strokes get lighter you will see the MX guys got to the 4 stroke - holeshot kings! Weight and gyro effect are the current drawbacks.

2 strokes can be more fun because the power band makes you feel out of control - I like that but the 4 strokes motor by as you are banging gears, getting sideways, etc....

Check the RPM/power band of the new CR450F or the YZ426 - these are high RPM screemers.

I have ridden all types of bikes - I can go farther faster on the 4.

6. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I have both. I have an 86 KX250, an 86 250r TRX, and an 85 350X bored and stroked to a 483. The 483 is a Banshee killer!! I am more partial to the four stroke, but give the over all choose, it depends on the day.

I will say this. Thanks to the EPA and Echo-Nazies, you had better get use to the four strokes. They all ready banning 2 strokes from some riding areas, including Jet Skis on many water areas. In Cali, some of the bikes have <font color=red>red</font color=red> stickers instead of <font color=green>green</font color=green> stickers. The greens are full use bikes year round. The red are for limited use times through out the year. Both are exempt for racing.

7. MXmastermike

the trick to riding a 2-stroke is to always keep the engine in the powerband, and work the clutch for traction and speed control.

As far as racing, i think 2 strokes are better suited, because they have so much more potential for extra performance. I wish i had some numbers on hand, but i know this to be true, that it is a lot harder to get the same horsepower gain with an engine modification on a 4stroke then it is on a 2stroke.

but when a bike comes from the bike store, and you dont plan on ever making a modification to it, then i think a 4 stroke such as a 426 is better then the run of the mill 250 2 stroke.

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I'm a big fan of two strokes. I've owned both 4 strokes and 2 strokes including 3 Yamaha RZ350 street/roadracing bikes. 2 strokes are a blast to ride if you know how. 4 strokes are easier for the novice to ride. I just love the smell of 2 stroke smoke.

9. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

2-strokes for me. All of the ATV's I've owned were 2 strokes: Suzuki Lt-80, Yamaha Blaster, and Honda TRX-250R. Nothing like the power hit of a two stroke.

10. MXmastermike

lol yeah, the 2 stroke smell.
    I saw a fox racing shirt once that said "I love the smell of premix in the morning"

i agree that 4 strokes are easier for a novice to ride, there's not as much shifting and clutchwork to ridinging a 4 stroke. But when it comes to power/weight ratio's, its hard to top a 2 stroke. And there's nothing like the adrenaline rush of a powerband.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I just got my Yamaha IT 490 fired up and went for the first ride of the year. Man I love that bike. I always had big bore 4 strokes before. I like this 2 stroke a lot better. A couple of my riding buddys have big thumpers and it seems they are always eating my dust.

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

2 strokes do smell good. Anyone else liek that smell right when you start a boat? I love it...also my Lawn mower smells good...Toro Commercial 2-cycle