Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 tech ?'s on lift kit, 35 BFG and T-case lowering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cpqtim, Oct 21, 2000.

1. cpqtim

cpqtim Registered Member

2 tech ?\'s on lift kit, 35 BFG and T-case lowering

Hello,
    I have decided to run 35 BFG's on my 73 Blazer. Will not see severe off road use but needs to be solid. Plan on using the Hill 4" shackle for the rear and buying front springs separately. Desire a soft ride as speeds off road will not be high, mostly picking between trees and up hills. The rear springs will be tailored to match the front.

Question 1. What would be a good source for 4" leaf springs that are of a softer variety? I realize that 4" may not be quite enough (or is it). If 4" springs are not tall enough I will do a shackle extension to make them clear. Trimming fenders is not an option as the truck is a 73 with less than 10,000 original miles and is in premo shape.

Question 2. Do I really need to lower the T-case to run a 4" lift? What if I shim the pinion angles, will it be ok running down the highway at 80?

Question 2.5. What is involved in lowering the T-case? I assume I must lower the engine as well. This would seem to bring about other problems such as fan shroud, header alignment etc. This truck is a 4 speed manual so I see possible linkage trouble as well.

Question 3. ( ok so I lied I have more than 2 questions ) If I plan on running BFG 12.5 35's should I just go to the 6" lift. I assume at this point I would have to lower the T-case. If I must lower it for a 4" I may as well go 6"?

Truck has a 205 T-case and 12 bolt rear, dana 44 up front. 4 speed manual. I don't mind replacing U joints frequently as it is not a daily driver. My main concern is a soft ride off road and ability to get to town at 80mph ( I live in a dry county), great fun to drive topless in the summer so I use to go to work on occasion. Gotta be able to run down the Expeditions on the highway. I plan on some sort of locker or mini spool rear and a limited slip up front using 4.11's. Target RPM should be about 3,000 at highway speed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Question 4. Why does my wife squeal like a prom queen when I spend money on my truck but never bats and eye when I drop a 502 in the boat?

Tim T.

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Re: 2 tech ?\'s on lift kit, 35 BFG and T-case lowering

4" Tuff Country EZ rides have the softest spring rate available. Dropping the tcase does not include dropping the motor. They just use spacers in between the crossmember and frame to bring it down. Now a 4" lift does not require lowering the tcase. I ran that for years w/no vibrations. Now how are you lifting the rear? You can do a shackle reversal quite easily and run your stock rear springs.

3. cpqtim

cpqtim Registered Member

Waxer,

Plan on using the Hill 4" shackles rear. Do you think that 4" is enough for 35 BFG's? Probably won't bottom suspension out while turning if it is close.

Tim T.

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

#1) Most of the aftermarket "softride" springs are fairly soft. I have Skyjackers and I like them. There was no way my '80 would fit 35s with 4". The front tires rubbed at full lock if I was on a hill on the street.
    #2) I had some vibration above 40mph before I did. After I dropped it the vibes were gone. Some haven't had any vibration with a 4" lift, others have. With a 205 you don't have to worry about the front shaft, so if needed don't sweat it. However, if you have a fixed output on your 'case, and you should, I doubt you'll have any problems.
    #2.5) All that is lowered is the 'case crossmember. This is why it doesn't work so well with the 203 'case. I would try it without lowering, only do it if the vibrations are too much.
    #3)If you decide to go with 6" you could get a cv driveshaft made for the rear and then point the pinion at the rear output of the transfercase. For what you are trying to do, I think this would be the best option (6" lift & a new shaft.)
    #4) I'm not touching that one!
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

What are Hill's 4" shackles? Never seen them. At first I thought you were talking about a shackle flip such as at http://www.offroaddesign.com but maybe you just want longer shackles? As for the lift, yes 4" should clear 35" BFGs especially since BFG tires consistantly run at least 1" smaller than listed size.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blaze- 350/350/203, 14B w/detroit, D44, 4.11s, 4" susp, 36" TSL

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

On an 8" wide rim my BFGs were 34" tall when new. Most other brands are worse. M/Ts seem to be the worst at about 2" under, Swampers are the best at just slightly over.
    Jim '80 GMC.

It's a Wheelbase thing, You're Jeep wouldn't understand!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com