Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 Ujoints - 1 Day

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Citizen Rider, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

What a day!

Leave school for lunch. On my way to subway. Stop at the stopsign about a mile from school, turn left, and right as i get ontop of the bridge i hear a bang and feel no more acceleration. Knew it was the driveshaft. Stop asap and get out. Ujoint at Tcase blew. :doah:
    [​IMG]
    First thought it was cause of angles. Then saw all the different colors from the heat and figured out it was from the straps being too tight, keeping bearings from rolling, causing them to melt to the joint, and blow through the side of the caps.

Call up Koldsimer from here on CK5 and he comes with some tools. I just got the blazer running and hadnt had time to put tools in there. Got rear shaft off and Koldsimer heads back home. i throw it in 4hi and start towards the closest parking lot. Pull up to the light, check traffic, and start turning. Didnt make it 2 feet. Front shaft blew off. I was livin at this point. I couldnt beleive it. Then noticed the straps on the front hadnt been tightened fully after we installed the lift. Call a friend in a 85 blazer. Couldnt find a tow point on his blazer to pull mine. Call up Koldsimer again and hes back on his way from his house AGAIN! He pulls me to the parking lot and we performed roadside ujoint swap surgery.

I couldnt beleive all this happened. But really it could have happened at a worse time. I could be offroad. No tellin where, or no one to help.

If it wasnt for Koldsimer i really would not know what to do and blazer might not even be moving currently. I owe him bigtime and am really glad that i have a friend like him to help me out like that.

2. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

OUCH :doah: . YES it would seem as the straps were a bit tight . I ALWAYS make it a point to go over everything under the burb with the grease gun before every wheeling trip and also after I get home and hose all the mud and dirt off . The old saying goes " grease and oil is cheaper than parts " . I'm glad you got some friends to help you out . I think you owe them a few beers :D .

3. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

No problem man.:thumb: Don't worry, you will get the chance to help me out in return. It's all just a matter of time.

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll definately second that. With my u-joint angles, I grease after every wheelin' trip or about every 500 street miles. I got about a year out of my last set of o'reilly's cheapy joints before they developed noticeable slack. Lets see how these super bling spicers hold up!

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the world of modification. While the front shaft was out you shoulda put a D60 in it. lol

6. BrownK5

BrownK5 Registered Member

I kept bustin U-J's in my 79 w/ a 203. it got down to about 2 u jointes per week. i finally figured it out- the slip yoke was seized and was just destroying the joint everytime it rotated, got a new one, hadn't had a problem since.