Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 vs 4 front shocks on a 90

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyjeff, Jan 26, 2004.

1. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

going to be swapping in a 3/4 ton combo on my 90 blazer. The 3/4 ton front diff. came with only one shock mount per side where as my stock 10 bolt front diff has dual shocks on each side. What are the benifits of dual shocks in the front vs a single shock. If I do some sort of fabrication is there a beefer afermarket bracket to use to mount dual shocks in the stock configuration

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well if both shocks are valved correctly to equal the dampening for your application ( to be like one big shock ), you would get better ride control and less shock fade. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

4 shocks will limit flex a little more.. i have quad shocks currently and will be running singles when i get new shocks..

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Dual shocks will not fade as fast when bouncing through the desert. In most cases, you are just buying two more shocks.

5. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

as far as drivability on the street which set up would be better. mine is mostly a d.d but will be used to tow the boat to the lake and occasional offroad (mud and trail no rock climbing).

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

When I went from single shocks to quad shocks up front, I noticed a change in the handling. Less body sway and it seems to stick a little better to the road through turns. I didn't notice that it was much stiffer like some said it might do. I would run dual shocks up front for sure.

7. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    When I went from single shocks to quad shocks up front, I noticed a change in the handling. Less body sway and it seems to stick a little better to the road through turns. I didn't notice that it was much stiffer like some said it might do. I would run dual shocks up front for sure.

[/ QUOTE ] I do, Right next to my 540" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well designed single shocks are probably a better bet. Not sure if they were a gimmick for sales, or shock technology was that bad when the trucks were new, but I personally feel that my truck rides stiffer with duals than singles, although I've got the 3 leaf front springs on this truck, and my single shock '83 had two spring fronts.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm no expert by amy means, but I don't see any reson to run more then 1 shock per wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. chevyjeff

chevyjeff 1/2 ton status

Doesnt some company make a dual shock mount for the axil housing? Dont really want to cut the one off the 1/2 ton 10 bolt because I will resell it or use it for another project in the future.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Lower mounts don't need modified, because they use the standard single shock bracket, with a longer bolt that the outer shock rides on. (which bends BTW lol) There is nothing that supports the "outside edge" of the second shock.

The upper second shock mount is the "additional" bracket in that setup.

12. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Doesnt some company make a dual shock mount for the axil housing? Dont really want to cut the one off the 1/2 ton 10 bolt because I will resell it or use it for another project in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, skyjacker and several others make a kit.