Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" vs 4" lift???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jd70ssclone, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jd70ssclone

jd70ssclone 1/2 ton status

hey guys i just bought a set of 33 allterains for my 86 k5 but in order to put them on i must lift it, i was looking at the 2 and the 4inch kits from rough country and was wondering what you guys think i should do i only plan to do moderate fourwheelin with this thing as it is my highschool daily driver but if i get a 4inch does that mean i have to get longer driveshafts made?? what do you guys think the best choice for me would be thanks alot
    josh
    1986 k5,305,th-700r4,np-208,3.73 govlocker

2. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

You should be able to fit 33"s with no lift, but you might need to trim, I would suggest a 4" so if you ever decided to go bigger.

You can get a rough country lift for about 350 shipped, rear blocks though, which isnt bad, I am fine on my rear blocks, but I would suggest a shackle flip eventually.

3. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

2" Should be fine.. but as mindless said 4 if you ever plan on stepping up to 35s or if you go on rocky or rutted trails that require your suspension to be flexed out, go for 4"..OR trim a tiny bit on the fenders w/2 inch lift, but only if it does rub.

4. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

get the 4". i only put 2.5" skyjackers on when i went to 33s. they fit without any contact, but i always wished i had a little more clearance under the truck. when i went to 35s, i was tagging the front fenders all the time, until the tires knocked the rust off and did their own trimming. d shafts should be ok, but yu'll probably have to lengthen the brake lines and you'll need some steering correction

5. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

4" All the way!

I would go with a 4" lift it's the perfrect medium plenty of flex and not too big. There will be no trimming required although you will need to extend your drive line and front brake lines. Extending your drive line is not very spendy at all if you go to a mom and pop place. Mine cost me only 80$.

6. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

extend driveline.. i guess my truck must be weird. Iv got a front driveshaft that goes in/out in the middle...greased.. and my rear slides in and out of tcase.. Pretty much means i dont have to extend anything if its just a tiny bit of difference.

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

You shouldnt have problems just keeping it stock with a little trimming. Or go 2" if you have worn springs. I run 35's with a 4" and could go 37's. Some people trim to run 38's off of 4" lifts. Theres room inside the fenders for the tire unlike newer rigs. Alot of people go 4" because its just more lift. Lift as much as you need but as little as possible. The tires give the ground clearence. I plan to go 2" lift and do a little trimming for 35's when I replace my K20 with another K5. I would also suggest another lift company. Ive used Rough Country and they rode rough and were stiff. Also the back end was "stink-bugging." My next springs will be Tuff Country or BDS. Check out this spring rate table. Rough Country are one of the stiffest springs you can get. http://coloradok5.com/springratetable.shtml

Also on my K5 the 4" lift caused vibrations and I went with a longer CV rear shaft front was fine.

8. Blue90

Blue90 1/2 ton status

Your not alone there friend. I was referring to only the rear drive line. The rear yoke will slide in and out of the transfercase just fine for a short time (offroading). That amount of slip is not ment for daily use.