Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 Way Radio Question

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by rebelrockin, Mar 12, 2003.

1. rebelrockin

rebelrockin 1/2 ton status

My son has Motorola Talkabouts. Do I have to buy the same brand as him to be able to communicate on them. or can I buy any make and program them to his. We don't want to buy a set and find out they don't work cause they aren't the same brand type of thing. Some are spendy some aren't but I know his go up to 5 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As long as the frequences are the same, name brand doesn't matter.

3. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

They all operate on the same frequencies. Most Motorolas have a privacy channel also. Look at his and you'll see like a large channel numvber and a smaller number on the display. As long as his are set to 0 on that smaller channel any brand will work. make sure that the ones you buy are FRS band radios as they have some newer ones out now that work on other frequencies and have a longer (5 mile instead of 2) range.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Talkabouts are FRS (Family Radio Service) units. The cheaper ones just have the basic 14 channels. The more expensive units will also have 38 subchannels for each main channel (sometimes referred to as privacy channels). An FRS radio from any company will communicate with an FRS radio from any other company. However, if you want to use the subchannels (which I highly recommend!) then all of the radios will need to have this capability.

The radios with the higher output also have some more channels. I think they're called GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service?) units. I haven't paid too much atttention to them, as until recently they cost WAY more than an FRS radio.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The radios with the higher output also have some more channels. I think they're called GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service?) units. I haven't paid too much atttention to them, as until recently they cost WAY more than an FRS radio.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Most GMRS radios are getting cheaper all the time, tho the higher quality ones are still a little pricey. You're supposed to have a license to operate GMRS bands, but I don't much real oversight is done for these. I have Midland's GMRS model G-28 and a few less well made ones that I keep in the truck for hiking use.

6. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

do u like the Midland 28's? Frys, a superstore, has'em for $49. Is that a good price? Also, anybody know ofa way to "bump up" the output on these? I've heard it can be done.