Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2 wd steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Mar 20, 2002.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

can this box be used without a crossover steeringif i index the arm in the correct position? Or should i just wait to put it on when i do the crossover steering? Is there any difference between the the 2wd and the 4wd?

2. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

You can make it work I did but on my truck it goes through drag link ends like crazy I had everything for my cross over put my box on and found that I was missing my kncle arm so had to hook up regular compenants with m 2wd box and ford pitman arm.

3. NOT4SHW

NOT4SHW Guest

You can use your 2wd steering box by taking you 4wd box apart and swaping the internals. I think there are 3 or 4 bolts on the top of the box, just simply remove the components from the fwd box and add them to the 2wd box until you get your x-over stuff and then just put the 2wd box back together. It is easy as a matter of fact I have a 2wd box with 4wd internals. Good Luck!

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

You dont need to swap ALL the internals. JUST the output shaft. As long as both are of the variable ratio, they will swap just fine. You can tell if its variable if you see that the three teeth on the output shaft gear have the center one taller than the others.