Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2" Zero Rates???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Blzn, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't know if this is a lame qusetion or not but here goes. Currently, I have about 4" of total lift including zero rates front and back. Would it be possible to have made or fab up some "zero rates" that are 2" instead. The reason for this is that I would like as much lift as possible but still be able to fit into my garage and to clear the beam that goes across the middle of said garage as well. 6" spings would put me too high to fit. They would be fairly easy to make but would it still be safe to use 2" in the front. I'm looking for 5" total lift and want to do something like this until I get 5" Deavers all around. BTW, please don't critique my choice on Deaver, I know everybody has their fav springs (National, Alcan, etc.) but I'm going with Deaver. What do you think about the 2" Zero Rates though.

Anyone from ORD Listing/Reading?????:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Or am I just:screwy:

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I would not recommend it on the front axle but the rear would be ok.

3. ct85k10

ct85k10 1/2 ton status

4. dick_landy

dick_landy Registered Member

its not recommended to have blocks in the front because they can fall out from the forces of turning,bumps etc. a zero rate is bolted in place so its not going anywhere. the only issue i can see is axle wrap. i made 1.5" "zero rates" for the front of mine but havent put them in yet. i honestly cant see how a half inch is gonna make any difference over 1" zero rates

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

We make a 2" add-a-leaf that is just what you are asking for. But we will NOT sell it to anyone if we know they are going to run it in the front. Too much can go wrong with running a thick leaf like that in the front.

6. Big Blzn

Well fellas, looks like I got my question answered in about 22 minutes. I appreciate your honesty and will wait to get my springs from Deaver next year. Just got new tires so can't ask the wifey to get new $1500 springs just yet. Yes, I said ask the wife. I could just go out and get them but she makes a lot of money and could afford a better divorce lawyer than me.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what about a 1" body lift? or a 4" lift spring with the zero rates you have now.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4" springs and your zero rates wo uld be the easiest opetion I'd think...

9. Big Blzn

Yeah, 4" springs and my ZR might work until I get the good springs but i'm staying away from body lifts. Just don't like them. thanks for the heads up.

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

A 1" bodylift would be a lot safer than a 2" zero-rate (aka lift block).....think of it as a really thick aluminum body mount washer if that helps! :D

Another option is to play with shackle lengths...you can get some extra lift by lengthening the shackles, and depending on what you are running now, that will usually help the spring flex and work better (factory ones are too short anyway).

:usaflag:

11. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think any lift block is a bad idea unless your a mall crawler. I think they are just unsafe and for looks only.

12. Big Blzn

Yeah, I realized after the 2nd or 3rd post that the 1" ZR was the max. Greg, if I have stock spring hangers and shackles in the rear that are in tension how would I get more height? Or would that only work with a shackle flip? If you have time please explain, I took the short yellow bus.

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The longer shackle out back would only work with a shackle flip....ORD sells a 4" and 2.5" version that you'd use with stock springs.

My guess is that your Deavers will eventually expect you to be running a compression shackle (aka flip) out back anyway....so I doubt you'd be wasting money/time doing a flip now.

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

start with a 2.5" flip in the rear. ditch the zero rate while your back there. the truck will sit like a nova with airshocks but at least it won't have a saggy butt.

then get the deavers you wanted for the front. that combo would probably ride nice.