Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

20.7 Mpg

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Just filled up my after my first tank in the new (to me) tow rig. 1984 C20 with a 6.2. :D

Twice the mileage of my K-5. Can't wait to put a J code intake on it.

2. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

You thinking about possibly converting it to Veggie at a later date, or is it too cold up there in Wisconsin to be worth it?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3/4 ton? Should have the 'J' code intake already...and that is some really good mileage without OD.

Rene

4. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

It has OD - but it is kind of a weird 3/4 ton. GVWR of only 6400 lbs, and it is a C code.:confused:

(I'll sneak in some tech - Rene I just saw AC delco 60Gs on Autozone.com for 7.99 a each (USD) - usually they seem to be closer to $12-16 no? Are all 60Gs created equal?)

I might play around with veggie this summer and see what I think - nice thing about a truck - it already has 2 tanks :)

5. tRustyK5

I got my AC60G's for about $12 each 3 years ago. As far as I know if it says AC60G it's all good. Most important is that it is a constant duty glow plug. I do plan on switching to the Kennedy Quick heats next though. Less glow time, much hotter glow...

I have at least two dead AC60G's currently, which makes it a little ornery to start when it's cold.

I've never seen a 3/4 ton with a 'C' code 6.2 before...or overdrive. :confused: Not possible the PO swapped the 14 under the truck? As far as I've ever seen all the 3/4 and one tons with the 6.2 got either the TH400 and 4.10's or the SM 465...

Rene

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cheap price!..

I paid 7.99 each for the AC G60's I bought at Auto Zone in dec 2003 for my 6.2 when I first got it..so I'd say its a good price!..I haven't priced any since then around here..I suspect one ore more of mine might be due,I only succeded in getting 7 of the old ones out,and I use them a lot (short trips),so I would not be suprised if one is junk by now..still starts ok,but its been pretty mild this winter..so far!:ignore:

Almost 21 mpg is awesome mileage for a full size 3/4 ton truck!..:eek1: ..you must have high rear axle gears like 3.42's??..

A friend of mine rolled his eyes when I said I get 15-17 with my diesel WITH the snow plow on!..but he rode with me as I plowed 3 places out,and after an hours time,my gauge only moved about the width of the needle!..:D ..he agreed his 350 gas motor would have used at least a 1/4 of a tank doing the same amount of plowing..;)

I have seen another C-20 a guy I know has,a 1989 I think(new style cab)..it also has a "C" code motor..not sure which automatic it has,but it does have OD,it has 1-2-3-@ on the shift indicator..might be a 700R4,or maybe a 4L80??..it appears to be all stock and unmolested,so I'm assuming the drivetrain hasn't been swapped..his truck is a "light" 3/4 ton too,I think its 7200 GVW if I remember right..he hauls 3 tons of bark mulch in it often,he runs a tree service..he gets 15-20 mpg with his consistently,loaded or unloaded..

I think the FUEL you happen to get has a lot to do with what MPG you get..some seems to be thicker viscosity,and takes longer to burn and pump thru the injectors..I know my mileage dropped on my VW diesel when I'd add kerosene, or "injector cleaner-anti-gel" to the fuel, by 5-10 mpg,in cold weather..:crazy:

7. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I still haven't figured out the rear ratio. But the vin comes back on carfax as a c20. It's 2wd and it has a 14b sf rear and 8 lug front wheels. It only has 53,000 miles and everything looks stock. I thought all 3/4 tons were J code too. I was disapointed to see a C-code - but is drove so nice, and was so tight - I bought it anyway, now I'm glad I did.:o

This mileage is with anit-gel additive and winter fuel.

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Little update - 6 tanks since I've owned it - best tank 24.7, average 22.7 :) on #2 Diesel.

Totally worth what I paid!

9. tRustyK5

I'm hoping to post up similar numbers when the NV4500 goes in in a couple of months. :waytogo:

Rene

10. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

Awesome score! Where in the hell are the pics?

I would love to get that kind of mileage. I need overdrive! My 89 sub with 6.2L,Th400, 4.10 gears, and 31.5" tires is getting around 15 if I keep it at 55 - 60 MPH.