Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

20 lbs!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm24m, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

Just had to share a moment of glory. I've just hit the -20lbs mark on my Atkins type diet. I started on 1 July, so it's only been a little over a month. 8 more pounds and I'll be at my goal of 180lbs. Not the easiest diet to stick with (how many are easy though). No carbs is tough, but well worth the results. I'd recommend it if you are trying to lose weight and have some willpower. None of the low fat diets ever worked for me past 7 or 8 pounds. All the diets I've tried also include me doing a pretty decent cardio workout, so I don't know how it will work with the lazy folks. I'm all grins!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I did the Atkins earlier this year. Lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks, but after doing more extensive research on what it does to your body I quit. I tried to keep my eating healthy and lite, but I still gained all the weight back in 3 weeks. I hope you have better luck than I did. </font color>

3. Storm24m

Storm24m 1/2 ton status

Bum deal man. I hope it works out better for me too. I havn't heard much about the side effects of this type of diet and havn't seen any so far. If you don't mind, please tell me what you know. Thanks

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Congrats dude.

5. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Congratulations!!!! I wish something would work for me!!! I need to lose about 50 pounds.

6. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Congratulations! I've been low-carbing for over 2 years. I first lost 20+ and then started eating like I used to (very little will-power when it comes to carbs). It all came right back. At the end of this past April I was up to 155 (I'm only 5'1") and a girlfriend had a plan. We'd see who could use the most weight by Memorial Day Weekend. I knew I had felt better and ate better on low-carb so I did it. I kicked her butt and have gone on to be 128 now. 8 more to go for me but then I will not go back to eating the way I used to. This is a lifestyle change for me I guess. Now that I'm down to a decent weight I do have some carbs but really avoid sugar. Like I'll have a bread once a week or something. I am a total chocoholic and Walmart happens to have a wonderful selection of low-carb chocolates. I can come up with some quick and easy recipe ideas if you all want. I don't really follow Atkins or anything and I know people get freaky if you say "no carbs" sometimes. It's not "no carbs" but "low". If I tell anyone I cut out sugar and starchy/white foods then they all think that is great. Same difference to me. I like to eat and do it often, and lose weight pretty easily this way!

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's the induction part that's really not good for you. Essentially you're starving your brain for fuel and tricking your body into thinking that it's starving. Long term effects can include everything from bad breath to severe kidney damage. Muscle loss also occurs on the diet, since your body tends to use muscle for energy before fat because when it goes into starvation mode. It's also been described to me as essentially inducing diabetes. The diet will eventually slow down your metabolism so if you ever go back to eating carbs you'll gain it all back plus more. That's what happened to me to some extent, but that has heppened to me to one degree or another after every diet I've been on.

It's generally accepted that it's a safe diet for short term to drop a big chunk of wieght, but you don't want to stay on the ultra low carb diet for long periods of time in order to avoid the problems. Just use it to lose a lot of weight really quick then phase into a more balanced diet combined with exercise.

What happens with people that are really serious about it is that they go on the induction phase and see such great results that when they go to the next phase they aren't happy with the 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week that they have, so they go back to induction. This is when the problems are really going to crop up. At some point they can't go back to a more normal diet and keep the weight off because of changes in their metabolism.

Anyways, I really shouldn't even be talking, I don't exercise at all and am pretty beefy these days. Back in high school I did the whole weight training thing, bulk up and then cut, etc, but these days I just don't have the desire to do it as much. Some day... Yeah, I know, that's what they all say.</font color>

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Conngrats on the weight loss Storm24m. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

And Congrts to you too Andrea, I wish I had that kind of will power. Im so weak when it comes to carbs. Im a huge cereal fan though. I eat it morning and night. I should stop that :mad But who can stop it when lucky charms goes on sale all the time! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats my wife and i are both working on loosing a few pounds also /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Just thought id post this for you guys. When your breath starts to smell bad on diets like this it usually means your body is digesting your muscles. I see alot of wierd [censored] wehn people cut wieght for wrestling.