Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

20 minute job turns into an all day project

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I went to swap in a new T-stat last night. The top bolt was a little tight but she came loose. The bottom bolt, however, was either overtightened or crossthreaded last time it was put in(it had to be the shop that did my injection pump 2 years ago but I would have a hard time arguing that by now /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif). I could only get the sucker to turn about 1/2 a turn before it froze- I gently tightened it back up and let it be......

Anyhow, I checked out how big a job it is to remove the crossover to install a helicoil. It looks like I have to disconnect the coolant hoses, the oil fill tube and the CDR bracket. There's also a return line I'm gonna have to gently bend out of the way.

I've never tackled this before. Any hints or tips? The only thing that makes me nervous is that it's aluminum- why did GM even bother making the crossover out of aluminum? To save 20 lbs? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had the same problem awhile back . I first tried a little smaller bolt with a nut on the backside of the hole . Then after awhile that wouldn't work . I then removed the crossover and used a heli coil . Worked great until I put the crossover back . Then damn one of the ears broke !!!Then ran to GM and spent $90.00 for a new one !!!! I think you can use an angle drill to drill it out ?

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I'll sell you un unmolested one for $10 plus shipping. Shipping will be like $13 I think. Interested????

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I definitely would be interested if the shipping was only $13. How did you figure that price out, brother? I would have assumed it would cost a lot more to travel from Texas to Canada..... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

O chit canada... Well I sold it on ebay and guesstimated the shipping price incorectly and the total payment ffrom to buyer wasnt enough to cover it so I gave him his money back. PM me your address and I'll check out shipping. Thx