Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$20 to the person who can tell me what is wrong

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rebel222, Oct 25, 2000.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

Let me describe my situation... (I am serious about the $20, I will tell the person who is right and I will mail them the money) I recently bought a 1980 K5 knowing there was a problem. The guy said he was riding around in the woods and it just stopped. He had it towed. IT DOES NOT MOVE AT ALL. When the transmission is put in drive and the gas is pressed, it makes a whinning noise. Then when shifted back into park, there is a very bad grinding sound. It doesn't run in 4wd or 2wd. The transfer case shifts. I dropped the pan on the transmission. There was very little in it to show transmission failure. The fluid was clean. There was a small amount of thick black liquid in the bottom. I talked to a guy at a local off road shop and he told me there is a problem with the coupler in the 1980 blazer. I don't know if this is true or not. This is all I know. I will mail $20 to the person who can tell me what is wrong. If you need to ask questions to get to the answer, please ask. I will check frequently to answer them. I really need to fix this problem. Thanks

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Sounds a lot to me like the tanny is ready for a rebuild, either the bands or the clutchplates and clutches are worn out, maybe a combination of both.
    While in park will the rig physically roll in either direction if pushed.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

3. rebel222

It won't move in park

4. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Sounds to me like the tranny is working fine as is the transfer case. Just a guess would be the splined gear for the in put to the transfer case or the output shaft is stripped or broken. But if it doesnt push in park?? HMM

5. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Have you checked all the linkage on the tranny and transfer case? Have you tried to put it between gears and move the shifter levers while it is running?

Just a suggestions, you probably already tried all this

Good luck
    Michael

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

does the truck roll free when it is in park? what about when it is in drive? It has a np205 right? If it won't roll in gear as well as park, I'd open the inspection cover on the transfercase. If the transfercase isn't froze, then I would think it is beween the trans and the transfer case(output/input shaft). My dad had the coupler sleeve (I lack the exact terms here) between the tranny and transfer, split on him. He had similar conditions to yours. The out put shaft on the tranny was just chewing the teeth up on the split sleeve. I hope this helps! Good luck!!

7. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Here is the deal. If you put the tranny in gear then it grinds in park then the output shaft of the tranny is still turning. Kind of like throwing it in park moving down the road. So I'd bet its in the xfer case. Between the output of the tranny and the chain (if its not a 205, gears if it is) The front half of your xfer case may have self destructed, and the noise you hear in gear is whats left of the parts that were supposed to mesh. Also make sure he didn't hit something and bend the linkage on the xfer case to be sure its going into all its positions fully.... Try draining the xfer case and see if some metal fragments come out.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Its definately your transfercase (NP205). I'm not saying that anything is wrong with your case, but you may not have it shifted all the way to 2hi or whatever. It may still be stuck in 4Lo or in N, but you think its not. Try shifting around a little with the shifter. Put it in 2 hi and go underneath and see if you can turn the drive shaft (make sure truck won't roll), if you can than you're either in N or 2hi, if you can't then you're still in 4lo or hi (then try to shift the shifter again). Once the front drive shaft is free, try and drive, if you can, then you're in 2hi, if you can't, then you're in N. I think this is your problem (that you are between gears on the transfercase.) On my 205, its hard for me to tell if what gear I'm on (besides 4Lo), by just shifting. Not sure if I'm either on N or 2hi until I try and drive.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

9. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The grinding sound that you hear is the Park Pawl trying to stop the tranny from rotating and lock into one of the many slots of the output shaft, that when it locks, stops the tranny from moving (park position). The tranny is spinning fine. This will happen if you have the Xfer case in neutral and shift the tranny from park to any position then back to park with the motor running. This is not a problem in your tranny and I wouldn't recommend continuing to shift it to park while the engine is running. This will eventually wear out the park pawl and it won't stay in park if it gets worn out. Shift to neutral, turn off the engine then shift to park. From the sounds of it, either the coupler to the transfer case is gone, the shift fork is not engaging in the Xfer case, or the output shaft of the tranny is stripped. Either way you will need to split the tranny and Xfer case. An easy way to check is to put it up on jackstands, with it in park, and in 4 (hi or lo, LOC for a 203) rotate the driveshaft and see if the other drive shaft spins. If it does, then the Xfer case is not coupled to the tranny. If it doesnt, then shift the tranny to Neutral and try it again. You probably won't get to this step from what you described above because it will probably spin with the tranny in park. Once you split the tranny and Xfer case, you'll find which one is stripped or broken. Caution, the Xfer case is really, really heavy. Good luck and keep the $20 for the repairs.

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'm with Boss & Wheels. Sounds like the shift fork bushings in the transfer case are worn leaving it between gears. I'd pull the t-case and take a look.

Good Luck
    Brian
    89KBlazer

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dunno, I'm no mechanic, but mine did a similar thing and it ended up being the torque converter being bad. Plus nobody's said that yet and I wouldn't have to split my $20. Haha, just joking. mine didn't have the growling sound when put into gear, just wouldn't go. You could hear the engine revving up and everything, just no motion. HTH,

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    The Road Goes On Forever.....And The Party Never Ends!

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    1HIHUM,
    where is the inspection cover ?
    is there two covers?
    Thanks alot

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Had this symptom on my first K5 - right after a buddy did a front brake job and put the locking hubs back together wrong. Made a godawful sound when you tried to drive. Sounds for sure like either that (which I doubt since you didn't mention anyone taking apart the front hubs) or the transfer case mid-gear. Good luck.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

14. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Drain the transfer case. Check for metal when you do. Hey Ex, the inspection plate is on the upper left side of the case(np205). Not sure about 208's. Hoope this helps you.

15. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

The grinding sound is prolly the "Park" mechanism grinding because the t-case parts are still spinning from when u had it in drive. My guess is that your tranny is OK, but your t-case *isn't* shifting properly and is in neutral.

Try putting it into drive, then neutral, wait 5 minutes in neutral, put into park. I bet $$$$$ that you get no grinding then. IF it's a 203 or 205 t-case, i very highly doubt that the t-case internals are toast, but running w/o fluid can toast them.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

16. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

I got to agree with the others that say it is the coupler. Unless it is a NP203. Then I would say it might be the coupler or the chain. The chain in the 203 is bad about getting sloppy over the years and wearing out the gears. But I have seen more couplers than chains go out. Either way you get to pull the T-case. Look at it as an excuse to learn more about the underside of your k5. Always fun.

If it aint leaking it aint mine [​IMG]

17. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Sounds to me like something is wrong with it.....I would check everything!

18. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Did you check your blinker fluid? That is the first thing I check every time.

Sparky

78 K-5

19. rebel222

One more question.... Where do I buy a coupler if that is the problem???

20. K2500

K2500 Registered Member

I have always went to the dealer. It was easier for me than trying to hunt one down. You could go to the junkyard or maybe one of the drivetrain specialty stores would have one?

If it aint leaking it aint mine [​IMG]