Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

200 MPG Bicycle

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, May 9, 2006.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2006/05/08/revopower-turns-your-bike-into-a-moped/
    RevoPower Turns Your Bike Into A Moped
    Posted on 05.08.06 @ 9:43 pm [​IMG]
    By David Ponce
    The good folks at RevoPower claim they’re re-inventing the wheel. And, let me tell you, I’m wanting to believe them. Here’s the deal. You take your current bicycle (be it a mountain bike, a cruiser or a commuter bike), you remove the front wheel, and replace it with RevoPower’s. A little wiring here and there, nothing too hard, and you’re set. Then, you go out biking, as usual. But, say you’re growing tired, or you hit a slope and you’re just lazy… well, press a button, and the integrated commercial grade, 23cc two-stroke engine will kick in. You get 1.1 HP or 0.8 KW power output with a maximum rpm 7500 to help you along the way. On a flat surface, the engine will even take you up to speeds of 20mph, with a merciful 200mpg.
    Sure, this is pretty much a moped, but the beauty really is that parts have been miniaturized to the point that they can fit within a standard 26 inch bicycle wheel. The entire engine is less than three inches thick! Evidently, the setup adds some weight: about 12 lbs more than a regular wheel, without taking the 3.8 liters of gas it can store into account. But that’s still decent, especially if all you do is commute.
    Its targeted price is $400, and will be out in late 2006, or early 2007. Now, if only these guys could re-invent their website, because it’s sadly crapalicious…

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thinking an extra 20 pounds on the front wheel is going to make for a scary ride. Why not just pedal and use no gas if you are going to be on a bike anyway...

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Saw the first (?) one of those at the Tour del Sol down East in '96. Was a spoked wheel then with a HUGE hub, also in a Crack-n-fail er.....Cannondale.

4. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

And here I was expecting a photo chop of Fumes on a bike with a beer dangling from a stick in front of him.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wouldn't that mean 200 GPM instead of 200 MPG?