Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2000 camry electric fans...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Dec 18, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I found 2 electric fans out of a 2000 toyota camry that look like they are in very good shape. The guy wants $50 for both. I am having overheating problems with my 406 when putting some load on it after I cut my shroud for the 3" body lift. I am thinking a new 4core with the twin electric fans. What do you guys think? good deal for the fans? They are pretty big and look like they can pull some serious air between the 2. How would you guys go about wiring them? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I run twin 14" fans on a 4 core rad no shroud or engine driven fan, with a blown 454 in texas on 100+ degree days,,,,can maintain 195 degrees,(go for the 4 core)

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I havent done the mod to my Blazer yet (I have the fans) but installed the Ford Winstar fans on my 71 ElCamino.
    They work great. My friend has them on his BB in Texas with no probs. They are almost a perfect fit (some trimming required) for the large radiators.

Do a search on electric fans and there will be some pics/links. I dont know what the Camery fans pull for air. I know the Winstars are close to 5K and the single Mk-VIII pulls 5K but is loud!

Heres the Winstar Fans mounted in my car.

Heres a link to my friends site that shows how to wire dual fans. Mine is similar.

Dont know anything about the Camery fans. I do know mounting some of these things can be a PITA

4. rjfguitar

How did you wire them? I was thinking a toggle switch for each fan but with one on a thermostat.

5. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

thats what i would do, run at least one through a thermostat but have switch(es) so you can turn them on when you please.

what year windstar fans are you guys usin?

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

RJF, i put in a 4 core rad and it runs much cooler now ,runs now at about 150 to 155 before it ran around 195!!!HP /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 88Silverado

I ran each fan into a relay. Then ran the relay switch to a thermal temp switch I put in the block. The switch goes on at 205 and off at 185 (I run a 180 stat) I also have the relay wired so it goes on when the a/c switch is engaged (need the airflow to cool the condenser when not moving). I also "had" a toggle so I could turn them on and leave them on when I wanted (master switch) but removed it cuz the auto setting was fine. You can run each fan off a different sensor etc or always have one on or ....
    Several options.

Send me your e-mail I will send you a file

8. rjfguitar

hmm, the guy at the wrecking yard told me to just use a toggle but I don't like that because if I left them off and forgot about and didn't notice the temp climbing I would have a slight steamy problem. I am a little confused on what you said 88 silverado. Use a relay with a hot, ground, temp sensor, and A/C connection? Basically a 4way relay? am I correct? I think I will grab them for only 50 bucks and try it with my 3core rad and see if the dual fans are enough otherwise I will get a 4 core.

9. 88Silverado

Fan Wiring Options
    The above diagram will give you some options to think about.
    Heres how I have them
    [​IMG]

I have the relays ganged so both fans come on together.
    The relays are 50A Bosch I got 2 at an auto house with the wire loom for something like $10ea.

Only problem the way I have is during summer, when u go to start a hot car, the fans will come on with ignition thereby pulling down the starter a little. Not a problem for my application. You could add a master toggle between the switches and relay so you can force the fans off completly.