Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2000 miles in January (edited with new Q's)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chris_T, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

2000 miles in January (edited with new Q\'s)

I'm going home for the holidays in December and have decided to drive my Blazer back with me. I'll be going from Edmonton, Alberta down here to Columbia, Missouri. When I drove down here the first time I drove east through AB, SK, MB and then south through ND, SD, IA and MO. I'm not sure if I want to drive across the Canadian praries in early January or not. It has more to do with the road conditions since I'll have the 35" BFG MT's on there (my dad appropriated my Winter Duellers as soon as the snow flew back home) since even though my 72 isn't the warmest truck in the world, I'll survive.

Anyone have a suggested route? Better off going south first and then east? Road and weateher across Montanna/Wyoming/Nebraska? Which way would you go?

When I've figured out my route I'll be looking next for who lives along it, lol. My 205 had an intermitent vibration before I left that I hope to sort out when I get back, but with a 30 year old truck, who knows what'll explode. Keep the coffee hot and your tools warm 'cause I might be calling.

Chris

2. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Re: 2000 miles in January .. best route?

Hey Chris, any of these routes can be bad. I lived in Omaha, Ne. most of my life and had friends and family scattered in Iowa and Minnesota. The route through MN. and IA down I35 is known for high winds and black ice from Dec-March, and coming down through Wyo. and NE. is known for blizzards, high winds and sub-zero temps. The best advice I can give is to throw in cold weather gear & sleeping bags, food, water, and a CB radio and-or a cell phone just in case, no matter which route you take. Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Doug

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Well coming down I came across the TransCanada and then down I-29. BORING! I thought Saskatchewan and Manitoba were bad but the stretch through North and South Dakota kept me wondering if was ever going to end!

One bonus of going across Canada is that there's less of a tendancy for huge dumps of wet snow making it slick and the TransCanada is well maintained and split most of the way across. Still, with nothing but a couple moose to break the wind, it could be COLD!

I've thought about Montanna-Wyoming-Colorado-Kansas-Missouri, just to get as far south as quickly as possible, but that adds a few hundred miles and I'm not sure it'll be any better weather and road wise, but the scenery will be nnicer

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I remember driving west across South Dakota once. The main thing that sticks out is no rest stop especially around I-29. No fun with lifted suspension and cold weather /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Well it's not much better coming South through North and South Dakota. I decided I wasn't going to stop in Canada to fill up, I still had a 1/4 tank. Then after dealing with the immigration official (which was surprisingly easy at 3:30 in the morning) I forgot to stop just as I crossed the border. After not seeing a rest stop for ages I pulled off the interstate to try some town that was just 5 miles away, but nothing open 24 hours. I finally coasted in to a truck stop on fumes after an hour driving and imagining the truck running out of gas.

No rest stops, but every 5 miles there's a billboard for some drug store - Wall Drug I think? I saw so damn many of those I had to stop and take a picture.

Cold weather I can deal with, but how are the road conditions?

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Wyoming does little to no snow removal.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Wyoming does little to no snow removal.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, they believe the good Lord giveth, the good Lord take away.

I live in Eastern Colorado on I-70 at the 383 mile marker. The guest house is always prepared and it doesn't take long to grind the beans for a fresh pot-o-coffee. Don't know about the warm wrenches though. I have a heck of a shop but it is without much heat, but I do have beer.

John

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I'l definately let you know if I head that way!

9. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Heading back to sunny Alberta tonight. I can check this from there. Insight is always welcome.

On a related note - does anyone know of a better online trip-planner than MapQuest (or the ones that link to it)? I was trying to put in waypoints, to look at different routes (the one I took last time was boooor-ing!), but it doesn't do waypoints for US to Canada rips or vice versa. I tried putting in all the various legs and adding them up, but I'm not so sure I trust it since In one case it gave me a 500 mile difference with only a 2 hour difference in time. 500 miles in 2 hours? that better be a damn good road!

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

New Q's:

I've decided to head east across AB, SK, MB and then south thru ND, SD, IA to MO. Got up this morning to heavy snowfall warnings across the Canadian prarie which got my family worried enough to prompt my dad to re-gift me with my old Winter Duellers (great winter tires!). So now my options are:

1) Leave the winter tires here (29's) and try and hack it on the MT's
    2) Put the Duellers on and leave the MT's here (no room to carry 4 35's with my tool chest, presents, etc.) and have them shipped.
    3) Same as 2, but rent a small U-haul and throw the tires and tool chest in there.
    4) Get back on the plane and fly.

No. 4 just isn't an option, I've been missing my truck down there. To tow a trailer, I have to get a ball made and re-wire it (PO did hack job)

To complicate things, I wasn't able to get my front gears in before I left (my brother stole my hub socket the day I went to get them out of the donor axle and take them to the shop). The truck is due in the shop tomorrow to get the front 4.56's in, but I could:

5) Put the gears in and drive with the 4.56's with the 35's (low cruising rpms in OD - drives nice on the highway) and then have 4wd should I need it.
    6) Put the gears in and drive the winter tires (29's), effectively losing the OD in 4th, making it more like 3rd and running higher rpms
    7) Take off the rear shaft, drive in 4 Hi with the 3.73 fronts and the winter tires and regain my OD, but have no 4wd.

I'm tempted to go with the U-haul, front gears for 4WD and the winter tires, but I've never towed with the Blazer, even a little utility, especially on potentially icy roads. Likely to be a problem? A bonus of the Duellers is when I get them to MO I could put them on my 2wd 94 Sierra for daily driving. I know the MT's suck in and around town on the ice, but I've never made a long trip in the winter on them, no more than a couple hours. What would you do?