Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

2000 Silverado help.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beast388, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

This might be more appropriate for the IFS forum, but I thought I'd ask it here where more eyes would see it.

My dad has a 2000 Silverado K1500 with the 4.8L & Auto. This past weekend, when he would start the truck, the "Low Fuel" warning light would come on and the gauge would show empty. He verified that it had gas (he filled up the day before), and checked for leaks. It wasn't until he drove over some pretty good bumps that the light went off and the gauge read normally.

My first thought was that the float was getting stuck, but the float should have been stuck at the fuel level not at the bottom of the tank. So, any ideas? Loose wire? Bad float assembly? Cold Iowa winter?

Any help is appreciated. He is about to take a 2500 mile trip in about 2 weeks so time is of the essence. His truck is long past being under warranty.

Thanks!!:waytogo:

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If I'm not mistaken that truck uses many different "multi-plexeses" which are basically little junction/relay boxes that inturpret the info. and send it to possibly many diffrent places. I would go into your local GM dealer and ask if the fuel level circuit is like that or not. It may just be an easy circuit, but you will have to look at the wiring manual to be sure.

Sounds like a loose ground or stuck reiostat in the tank sender but there maybe more to it....

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

fuel gage

I have a 2000 Silverado that does the same thing....

Nearly every time you start it - the fuel gage either doesn't work :angry1: or it takes a while for it to come up.:mad:

:ears:.... anyone know the fix?

Marv

4. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

possibly ???

A low fuel message was displayed on the message center and it would come on and off at random times so i replaced the fuel level sending unit and it fixed my problem. I have a 99 silverado so could be same problem...???